Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rebuilding Questions

Old June 12th, 2011, 1:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding Questions

I'm new to the forum but I come seeking some advice about what I should do in regards to rebuilding the 350 in my '95 K series Suburban. Please feel free to comment if I say anything ignorant. After researching a little I believe the truck has an L05 model 350 because GM didn't implement the Vortec motors until 96. What I'm curious about is the top end of the motor. As soon as it is financially available to do so I'm looking into rebuilding the top end of the motor in hopes of getting more MPG and a little performance boost. The original motor is still in the truck 230,000 miles later. It still runs fine due to good maintenance, but it's far from stellar in performance and also usually gets single digits in MPG. I plan on getting this top end kit from Summit Racing:

Summit Racing SME-K-355-400 - Summit Racing® Top End Engine Kits for Small Chevy - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Obviously with this kit I would be dropping the TBI setup and switching to a carburetor. The old TBI setup is junk anyway, so if nothing else I'm gaining performance for roughly the same fuel economy. Thoughts?

Also, I am of the understanding that those heads should bolt up fine. But I'm not sure. I've read some things about the L05 having garbage swirl port heads? What I'm simply asking is should the bolt patterns for those heads work?

If anyone has done this swap before I would love to hear your pros and cons of it. It would be exceptionally useful information for me.

I'll also probably go ahead and replace the main bearings, cap bearings, piston rings, and all of the essential "overhaul" parts. Please note too that I'm not building a drag motor, or any high-performance engine, but just a solid street motor with normal power. Thanks for your input!