Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Recommend Muffler?

Old May 19th, 2016, 1:17 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommend Muffler?

Hey all, I haven't been around here for about 5 years so I re-introduced myself in the newbie forum, lol! Anyway, I now have a 2001 Suburban 5.3L seen below. I transferred my CAI from my 2000 Suburban that went bye-bye. I would like to replace the muffler now for something with a little more growl. This truck is so quiet; too quiet. I don't want to invest in a full cat-back, just a muffler swap for deeper tone, not obnoxiously loud. Is there anything from Dynomax, Flowmaster, Gibson, Thrush, etc. that are direct bolt ins without having to weld or add/cut pipe? Thanks in advance for input.

Old May 19th, 2016, 4:40 PM
CF Beginner

Looks great.

I guess I'm just the opposite regarding exhaust note. Coming out of a late-model Hemi Challenger with a deep/loud aftermarket catback, I'm enjoying the quiet ride in my '08 Tahoe.

For you I'd suggest Magnaflow or Gibson, as I believe both are deep but not very loud; but cannot point you to any specific part numbers. Good luck!
Old May 19th, 2016, 10:58 PM
CF Active Member

Not a bolt on situation without modification. OEM is welded and like OP stated, I like the silence cool a/c and comfort.
Old May 20th, 2016, 8:54 AM
CF Junior Member

I appreciate the comments. I'm not looking for loud or droning, just a little more low hum. I do like hearing the engine a bit more than what it is stock. Cutting the stock muffler out is not a problem. I just would like to be able to clamp in the new one, so I'm looking for direction as to what fits in it's place; I'm probably not being very clear. What size are these exhaust pipes (inlet/outlet)? Direction to a particular muffler via part number would be ultimate for me. Thank you again!
Old May 20th, 2016, 9:09 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

If Your vehicle still has the resonator installed ( small looking muffler just before end of tailpipe) try removing it for that slight exhaust note increase, see if it give the sound you want, be sure the exhaust tip you install once the resonator is removed extends to approximately the same place. You don't want the exhaust exiting under the rear cabin area, you risk getting fumes in the people compartment . The exhaust must exit outside any areas that people can occupy. Pick up trucks can have it exit under the rear bed, but that is not the case for Suburbans and Tahoes....
Old May 20th, 2016, 2:32 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by in2pro
If Your vehicle still has the resonator installed ( small looking muffler just before end of tailpipe) try removing it for that slight exhaust note increase, see if it give the sound you want, be sure the exhaust tip you install once the resonator is removed extends to approximately the same place. You don't want the exhaust exiting under the rear cabin area, you risk getting fumes in the people compartment . The exhaust must exit outside any areas that people can occupy. Pick up trucks can have it exit under the rear bed, but that is not the case for Suburbans and Tahoes....
I don't recall a resonator there, but I'll check and look into it. Thanks
Old May 20th, 2016, 3:13 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Don't think that the GMT800s had a resonator as it was added for the infamous AFM on the GMT900s.. At least my wife's (now my son's) '04 didn't have one.
Old May 20th, 2016, 3:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 73shark
Don't think that the GMT800s had a resonator as it was added for the infamous AFM on the GMT900s.. At least my wife's (now my son's) '04 didn't have one.
Yeah, I just looked. No resonator.
Old May 20th, 2016, 3:49 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a straight pipe. Sometimes it works well and other times its too loud. I did one on my Denali and it was perfect
Old May 22nd, 2016, 5:18 PM
CF Active Member

I did what your taking about to my 07, I cut the stock muffler out and welded in a Magnaflow 2.5" stainless big block muffler, I had to extend the in and out pipes bc the mag is not as long. I also took the resonator and cut it out and added polished stainless steel down pipe behind the rear wheel. I turned it down slightly to give it some style.

Search this Thread