Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe Navigations Issues....

Old September 11th, 2008, 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Tahoe Navigations Issues....

Hey all long time reader, first post. I LOVE my Tahoe, but I have several issues with the navigation system in my Tahoe. Long story short, I feel that this is a terribly designed system. I mean a $150 Magellan is 10 times a betternav system than my $2000 factory option. It is really a shame. OK enough whining, let me explain my problem....

I have two jobs sales for a tech co. and real estate agent on the side.Both require me to use a nav system to get around and the Tahoe nav system is so unreliable that I cannot use it (it has not burned me too many times). The Tahoe nav system is continually getting confused. I have had the antenna replaced, the entire head unit replaced and have tried several iterations of the nav disc all to no avail. I figure that I cannot possibly be the only one to see some of these problems. Here is what I see:
[ul][*]Sitting still, the triangular "car" icon is going in circles - confused and doesn not haveclue what direction the car is facing.[*]Extremely slow tracking really hurts when in a city where turns come quickly.[*]Car icon hangs and takes 5-10 seconds to retrack on my course[*]Cruising ona main highway and the nav system is off by1000 feet and indicates that I amin the middle of a lake[*]Re-route is an absolute joke basically does not work or takes so long to process that I am completely lost by then[*]I enter a desitnation to an established address surrounded by established and known roads (e.g. - they are on the nav disc), yet the nav system routes me a location in the middle of nowhere.[/ul]
What it seems like to me is that the processor in the unit is overwhelmed - kind of like a slow computer trying to pull up a busy web page, it hangs and processes slowly. The difference is that with a nav system, while this is trying to catch up, the car is still moving forward, thereby worsening the situation.

Here are my questions:
[ol][*]Has anyone else seen anything similar? If so, what did you do to fix this?[*]Does anyone know if the 2008 nav/Bose head unit will work in the 2007 Tahoe? The reason I ask is because my other vehicle is a 2008 Buick Enclave. It is also a GM vehicle and has a very similar Denso head unit. It is almost identical, but it is a year newer being an 08 and the nav system is rock solid. I was wondering if I could have my dealership replace the 07 head unit with an updated and hopefully more powerful 08 version...[/ol]
Sorry to be so long winded, but as you can probably tell this has been bothering me for a while. Thanks.

J
Old September 12th, 2008, 1:44 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts
Default RE: 2007 Tahoe Navigations Issues....

Welcome to the Tahoe forum. Haven't seen or heard of a similar problem. I'm wondering if the speed sensor input isn't working since you've replaced the entire unit. Or perhaps a bad connection w/ the antenna. It just sounds like the unit is not getting good info. GIGO
Maybe someone else w/ have some suggestions.
Old September 12th, 2008, 1:50 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Subject:
Navigation Radio Responds Slowly/ Locks Up/ Or Cd Error
[align=left]

Models:
2007-2008 Chevrolet Tahoe, Silverado Suburban[/align][align=left]

2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Denali, Denali XL[/align][align=left]

with Navigation Radio RPO (U3U, UVB)[/align]

[hr]

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:
Some customer may notice one or all of the following concerns
[ol]After inserting the map disc, the navigation radio will start to respond slowly to commands (e.g. hardkey press)
The Navigation Radio locks up completely.
After inserting the map DVD, the Navigation radio may display a DVD read error message [/ol]
Any of the concerns listed above may be caused by the Navigation radio being unable to read the map DVD due to a suspected defect in the map DVD

Subject:
Navigation Radio GPS is inoperative or inaccurate
[align=left]

Models:
2007 - 2008 full size trucks and utilities with navigation radio[/align]

[hr]

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:
The navigation radio will have no or inaccurate GPS. Dealers may have replaced or re-routed the GPS antenna for the navigation radio with no change. Some dealers have found that by disconnecting the VCIM the concern is eliminated.
Recommendation/Instructions:
DO NOT REPLACE the OnStar® VCIM for this condition.
The GPS antenna for the navigation radio is located in the center area of the dashboard just forward and above the navigation radio, VCIM and HVAC control head. The location of the antenna and the potential electromagnetic interference from the modules in the dash area may cause this concern. TAC and engineering have found that by placing a small metal plate below the GPS antenna assembly in the dash for the Navigation Radio the condition will be eliminated. (see photos below)

Subject:
Navigation System Gives Out of the Way Directions
[align=left]

Models:
2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Tahoe, Silverado, Suburban[/align][align=left]

2007-2009 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Denali, Denali XL[/align][align=left]

2008-2009 Hummer H2[/align][align=left]

With Navigation Radio (RPO U3U or UVB)[/align]

[hr]

This PI was superseded to update models and model years. Please discard PIT4369A.
[hr]

Condition/Concern:
The Navigation System provides "out of the way" or "indirect routes" to destinations or Points of Interest (POI).
Recommendation/Instructions:
The Navigation System route can be influenced by the Route Preference options that are selected. Some systems default to not allow the use of Toll Roads. Ensure the customer is aware of these options. Instructions to change the Route Preferences are available in the Navigation System owner's manual.
Old September 12th, 2008, 1:53 PM
Banned

There are 3 bulletins currently out that relate to the problems you are having. I would be leaning more towards the 2nd one about the need to install a metal plate underneath the GPS antenna.
Old September 12th, 2008, 2:16 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im sure that shawnvw is right. If you never modded, rigged or bypassed anything regargingthe nav unit, im sure that will fix it. Ive alot from this forum.

Im no tech but when I first installed my Factory Navigation in my 07 Tahoe, It worked fine. But whenI installed the Lockpick module from coastaltech.com ,( it unlocks dvd playback and address entryin motion)Sometimes thenavigation would have me driving into lakes, rivers and on the wrong street. It also wouldnt track my movement, the triangle would just turn in circles when I would turn. I had to unplug the Lockpick it and set it to the right settings for the problem to go away. I didnt know if you hada lockpick installedor not but if anyone has any problems like this, i would check it out too. If you do have a lock pick and that does not solvetheproblem, disconnect it and remove it before you take yourcar in for service for the nav unitso youwont have any problems. Just my twocents.
Old September 20th, 2008, 11:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but yes these navigation systems are getting annoying. In my mom's ESV, it acts just fine. However, when we take my Tahoe, the system tells us to "Make a legal U-turn" right in the middle of traffic, has us going on roads that we've never even heard of, and sometimes when "she" tells us to turn, there's no road to turn on to. In fact, on Thursday I picked up my nephew from pre-school and he asked to hear "the lady " since he just loves hearing someone talk through the car, so I set her to give us instructions to his house. In the middle of an instruction it was giving, it suddenly just stopped for a second, dinged, then repeated the same instruction correctly. Would my dealer fix this or would the new disc fix it?
Old September 21st, 2008, 7:13 PM
Administrator

I'm guessing that this isn't a disc problem.
Old September 22nd, 2008, 9:40 AM
Banned

has there been recent constuction in the area? (last 2 years) map data outdates at a rate of about 15-20% a year due to new roads being constructed. If thats the case then a new map dvd should do the trick..otherwise a new update for the nav radio has just been released....see bulletin below

Subject:
DVD Navigation Update Program, AVN Software Update Discs and Ordering Information
[align=left]

Models:
2006-2009 GM Passenger Cars and Trucks (including Saturn)[/align][align=left]

2006-2009 HUMMER H2, H3[/align][align=left]

2006-2009 Saab 9-7X[/align]
[align=left]

Attention:
Please direct this information to your Sales Consultants, Service Consultants, Parts Personnel and Used Car Department.[/align]
[hr]

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2009 model year and information under Navigation Disc Update Program Details. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-44-012B (Section 08 - Body & Accessories).
[hr]

DVD Navigation Update Program
To improve customer satisfaction with factory-installed DVD Navigation Systems, General Motors offers a Navigation Disc Update Program for 2006 and 2007 model year vehicles. Offering GM customers new navigation DVDs will ensure that the customers have the latest information for their system. The data on the DVD map disc ages at a rate of 15-20% per year. As the data ages, the functionality of the navigation system declines. All navigation systems utilize the DVD disc for map and points of interest data.
The DVD Navigation Update Program policy has changed starting with the 2008 model year. 2008 and 2009 model year vehicles are NOT eligible for free annual updates; however, a navigation DVD update disc can be purchased for $199 (USD) + shipping.
Navigation Disc Update Program Details:[align=left]

All 2006-2007 model year customers who purchase or lease GM vehicles (excluding Saab) with a factory-installed navigation system are eligible to receive two free annual updates.[/align][align=left]

-
Owners will be contacted annually, on or about the anniversary of their vehicle delivery date.[/align][align=left]

-
Owners must indicate that they want an update via a toll free number, or through the web.[/align][align=left]

-
Owners will be contacted the second time at the second anniversary date of their delivery.[/align][align=left]

2008 and 2009 model year vehicles (2006-2009 Saab 9-7X) are NOT eligible for free annual updates. 2008 and 2009 model year customers may purchase a DVD map update for $199 (USD) + shipping. The DVD map updates are available annually at the beginning of the new model year.[/align][align=left]

Certified used vehicle customers (CUV and CPO) will no longer receive one free update. Discontinuation of free discs for certified used vehicles was announced in earlier dealer messages from the CUV and CPO teams.[/align][align=left]

Navigation discs will no longer be available through GMSPO.[/align][align=left]

-
Dealers will be able to order a replacement DVD through the web or by contacting the GM Navigation Disc Center in the event a replacement DVD is required under warranty (for Saab, this applies to the 9-5 and 9-7X models).[/align][align=left]

-
Owners of 2005 model year and prior vehicles can order an update or replacement via the web or toll free number at market price.[/align][align=left]

The GM Navigation Disc Center launched on March 15, 2006. There are two ways to obtain an updated disc.[/align][align=left]

-
Via the web through gmnavdisc.com [/align][align=left]

-
GM Navigation Disc Center 1-877-628-3472[/align][align=left]

-
The GM Navigation Disc Center is also the center of expertise for navigation system questions.[/align]
AVN Software Update Discs
Technical Service Bulletins are sometimes generated to address specific navigation radio operational or performance issues. When a navigation radio bulletin is issued, it may contain instructions to utilize an advanced vehicle navigation (AVN) software update with a specific part number. GM dealers must order advanced vehicle navigation (AVN) software update discs from the GM Navigation Disc Center. These discs will no longer be available from GMSPO.
AVN software update discs are for the dealer to update the navigation radio software only. They do NOT update or replace the navigation map disc that is supplied with the vehicle. Please order these parts only as needed. There is a limited supply of these discs available. Do not order these discs for stock. AVN software update discs can be used to reprogram more than one vehicle. The first update disc for each P/N is free. Subsequent copies of the same P/N for the same dealer will cost $50 (USD).
To obtain an AVN software update disc, contact the GM Navigation Disc Center at 1-877-628-3472
Old September 29th, 2008, 6:41 PM
CF Beginner

Have a 2008 LTZwith navigation and before that for years Iused a Garmin SP2730. About the same time we got the Tahoe the touch screen on the Garmin was going out probably from too many hot days on the dash so thought it was great we were getting built in nav.. I can tell you I much prefer the Garmin and may still end up buying another to sit up on the dash above the built in one. The thing is always telling you to make a legal U-turn for no reason at all. We have tried several times to use it on routes we drive often just to test it and it almost always tells you to make a turn someplace that sends you almost the other direction. Not sure if I am just spoiled by the Garmin or if the thing is just screwed up.
Old September 29th, 2008, 7:23 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the Tahoe forum.

Have you had it checked? Sounds like it has a problem. Mine works great.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Tahoe Navigations Issues....