Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Remote start not working correctly

Search this Thread

Old December 19th, 2006, 7:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Remote start not working correctly

Try hitting the unlock the required two times a little slower and delay each step so that you finally hit and hold the start button a longer time after you first start the sequence. Remember the fuel pump needs to be activated. I'm assuming that the first unlock in the sequence gets several systems turned on and you may be trying to fire it before the fuel is available. I know unlocking and opening the door activates several systems and maybe that's why it starts with the key.

Get it looked into but try this in the mean time.
Old December 20th, 2006, 8:53 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

My manual says to press the remote lock and then press and hold the remote start until lites flash or more than 4 seconds if you can't see truck. Also says will run for ten minutes on first start and can be extended for ten minutes after which it must be started with the key.
Old December 21st, 2006, 4:10 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ScootersLTZ

New '07 Hoe and my remote start will not always work. It is an intermittant problem that seems to be related to how cold it is outside. When I try to remote start it, it fires up and dies. Once it does that, you cannot get it to try again. Took it to the dealer and they say there are no error codes and they could not get it to do the same thing. When it is 20 degrees or less I notice it does not start about 1/2 the time. Kind of makes the remote start useless!

Anyone else having this problem, or know how I can correct it?
This is definitely a problem, as I too have been having this happen. Originally something told me it has to do with the colder temperatures, as that's the only variable I've been able to point out in troubleshooting the problem, but like LVHoe07 I too am in Vegas for the time being, and it snowed the other day and I was able to remote start. So that throws the temperature theory out the window. My 07' Yukon has had electrical problems right out of the gate, and with this I'm finally isolating the problem down to the remote start module. I can go weeks without using the remote start and I don't have any of the electrical problems. Sometimes I'll remote start and get into the truck, turn the key, and the radio head-unit won't fire up. It's like the truck's electrical system or computer still thinks it's in remote start mode. Also the rear parking assist will turn itself off. The only way to fix it is to turn off the key, open up a door or something, then restart the truck. That usually clears it up.

This morning my truck wouldn't even remote start at all. The lights would register, I'd get in the truck, and all indicators would lead to believe that it was running, but it wasn't. Then I'd hit the center key on the remote to turn it off, and all of the electronics would power down as if the car shut itself off.

I'll keep everyone posted on what I find out. You all please do the same.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5036/5F1E0079B4CB4803BB28D66C1F16A38E.jpg[/IMG]
Old December 21st, 2006, 4:32 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The RVS system will not operate if any of the following conditions are present: [align=left] • The vehicle is in valet mode.[/align] [align=left] • More than 2 remote starts have been attempted.[/align] [align=left] • The hazard switch is in the ON position.[/align] [align=left] • A current hazard switch DTC is set.[/align] [align=left] • The vehicle hood is ajar.[/align] [align=left] • A current hood ajar DTC is set.[/align] [align=left] • The CTD system detects an alarm trigger.[/align] [align=left] • Excessive engine RPM[/align] [align=left] • Excessive coolant temperature[/align] [align=left] • Accelerator pedal position greater than 0 percent[/align] [align=left] • Vehicle not in park[/align] [align=left] • Vehicle theft deterrent malfunction[/align] [align=left] • A current automatic transmission shift lock control system DRC is set.[/align] [align=left] • A vehicle speed sensor signal is detected by the ECM.[/align] [align=left] • A current vehicle DTC that illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL)[/align]
Old December 21st, 2006, 6:28 PM
CF Senior Member

Thanks for that as always!!! Man there sure a lot of variables there huh. A lot of things can be faulty or "buggy" to stop the remote start from functioning. Makes it difficult to troubleshoot.

Dumb question now: We have a valet mode? If so how does it work?
Old December 21st, 2006, 7:33 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a quick copy and paste and didn't take much time to proof read this.

No "valet mode" on the Tahoe, we're trying to find the dummy that wrote that so we can take a toilet brush to his behind.

It should read:
• Remote start feature is disabled in the DIC

Old December 23rd, 2006, 3:40 PM
CF Senior Member

So ZX1100F1,

Any thoughts on what might be goin' on with everyone's remote start, based on what you've read so far? I ask because mine did it yet again this morning.
Old December 27th, 2006, 1:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, we're out in cold Idaho for the holidays so I have been playing with it quite a bit. Seems the trick is that you have to unlock it (to get the brain working) and not just lock it and start. Mine sits in the garage unlocked, and when I lock it and try to start it, it fails more than half the time. If you unlock, lock and then start, it has worked every time. Guess it's just another wierd quirk they built in...
Old December 27th, 2006, 1:47 AM
CF Senior Member

I will definitely try that from now on. Good stuff!
Old April 11th, 2007, 5:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old post but I have the same exact problem with my recently purchased Tahoe. Anyone find a fix?

Quick Reply: Remote start not working correctly