Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Replace Lear garage door opener with HomeLink 2007 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old September 9th, 2013, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Lear garage door opener with HomeLink 2007 Tahoe

This post may be old news, but I spent hours searching for a solution. I have a 2007 Tahoe with a Lear garage door opener. That opener worked great until we moved into a new home that would not accept the signal from the Lear device. I believe this is because of the frequency of the Lear transmitter. In addition the Lear device would not open the entrance gate for our community. Instead of settling for a separate opener clipped to the visor, I scoured the Internet. Last year I installed a garage door opener in my Audi by purchasing a used homelink device and wiring it into my Audi. That opener worked fine for my new garage and community gate.

I opened up the overhead compartment (remove light cover to expose two screws, remove screws and then gently pull console starting at back until clips at front pop out). Then I unplugged the garage door opener and unscrewed it from the console. I reinstalled the console without the garage door opener and went to eBay to search for a similar HomeLink device. I found one for less than $25 with shipping and purchased it. Make sure the oneyou purchase has only one LED, not three. Look for a device wi similar buttons to the one you removed. Then patiently wait for the shipment to arrive.

When the new unit arrives, simply plug it into the console using the power clip and the mounting screws .... It should slide right in without any modifications. Then turn on the car to the accessory position and program the HomeLink buttons:
1. Erase all codes by holding the two outside buttons for about 30 seconds until fast flashing occurs.
2. Program a button by holding the desired button and the button on the existing opener down together until the light flashes fast. Then let go of both buttons and press the Homelink button again for 1-3 seconds.
3. Repeat programming for all garage doors and community gates.

That is it! Now you can use your new Homelink buttons and get rid of the garage door openers on the visor.

Good luck!!