Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Newbie here...Tire pressure and gear ration?

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2009, 10:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie here...Tire pressure and gear ration?

Well, I am new here. But not new to Chevy. Last truck was an Avalanche. Had to sell, wife wanted another baby, and needed a 3rd row.

I bought some new tires for the Suburban I just got. I searched for awhile and ended up with 285x75x16. Same as the previous owner put on them. He had the BFG's A/T. I went with the Hankook A/T. I have on my Avalanche the same tire, but a M/T. I liked them.

Well, after my hunt, I was pleased with my purchase. Drove about 50 miles. I told my wife, I wonder if the guy forget to reduce the PSI after install. I had asked him to put it at 40psi, which is where I like them. I knew it needs shocks, which I ordered the Bilsteins (on the way).

So, I pull over, and wife heads in Walmart. I check the PSI and it's at 40psi! I think, well....hummmm. After a visit at grandma's house for the kids, were headed home and I tell my wife. They actually feel like they are a "E" rated tire! I get home....YEP! Sigh! Max 80psi/3700lbs tire. Not to mention a 10ply.

The ride isn't all the bad. I do notice it though.

First question (finally)? What is the minimum tire pressure I could run? 35psi? 40psi?

Second, how do I find out my gear ration? I assume it's a 3:73 but want to confirm.

Thanks guys!....Stop laughing

Old October 14th, 2009, 11:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GT4-3:73
GT5-4:10
GU6-3:42

Mine is a 3:73. Located in glove box.

Just need the tire pressure question answered.
Old October 15th, 2009, 1:09 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts
Arrow

You'll want to check with the tire manufacturer. They will have a pressure for the tire according to the weight of the vehicle. I have never had to do it before because I have the tire service inflate to the tire manufacturer's specs and write it on the receipt.

It usually doesn't vary from the sticker more than 3-5 psi with a size change unless its an outlandish change.