Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Replacing Engine on 1999 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old October 12th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Pat
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Engine on 1999 Tahoe

My 99 Tahoe needs a new engine and I'm trying to prepare myself for the task. This will be the biggest auto job that I've taken on so I'm looking for any advice or tips to make this thing go as smooth as possible. Right now it has the original Vortec 5.7L. My father and brother are both telling me that I can just tear it out and put a newer & possibly smaller engine in for under $500.

One thing that I'm wondering about that is lining things up, like motor mounts, belts, pulleys etc. etc. I imaging that I won't be able to use the existing alternator and things like that with a different engine, right?

Also wondering about how much time I should set aside for this project? I'm figuring probably about 2 days so far. We'll see when I locate another engine.

Any suggestions on the replacement engine? I was ready to part this truck out but they talked me into putting another engine in it because the vehicle itself is in great condition, however I'm on a tight budget so I need to make the most of things, time, money, and reliability. Thanks for any info.
Old October 12th, 2009, 4:09 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For that kind of money the only thing you will be able to do is to replace it with the same motor from a salvage yard. If you put in something else you have all of the electronics to think about besides some of the things you mentioned.
Old October 12th, 2009, 8:21 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do not think you will be able to do it for $500 unless you put in a very high mileage used engine. The easiest and least expensive way to do it will be to install the exact motor. It is the only thing that will line right up and use all of your factory electronics (computer) and accessories. If you try to do anything else you will have a nightmare.
Old October 12th, 2009, 9:40 PM
Pat
CF Beginner

I was thinking exactly that. I figured if I pull out a 5.7L vortec I should be putting a 5.7L vortec back in. My father is an old school mechanic who suggested the idea of keeping the tahoe and swapping engines and my brother (not a mechanic) seems to think the same thing. He went as far to say any chevy engine will do. I really can't imagine the electronics being a huge problem though, a speedometer is a speedometer all day long.

I can tell you that from shopping arond a bit online I have already found a couple of low miles newer chevy engines though. My brother was a tow truck driver and picked up totalled cars all day long. Could have been for as simple as too many airbags deployed, or a busted axle. The engines are still in tact and go to salvage, for sale for repair or parts.
Old October 13th, 2009, 7:13 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Your 99 is controlled by a computer as well as the transmission, fuel injection, timing etc.
Old October 13th, 2009, 7:53 AM
CF Junior Member

saying a speedometer is a speedometer is like saying a headlight is a headlight... they are not all the same size, have the same mounting patern, and dont always connect the same way to the tranny.
Old October 14th, 2009, 3:34 PM
CF Beginner

if you think the electronics = speedometer, then you might want to look into someone else doing the job for you. there's a lot more than a speedometer when it comes to engine....
Old October 15th, 2009, 8:56 AM
Pat
CF Beginner

Its funny cause I didn't ask any questions about speedometers but the last two guys that posted had nothing to offer in regards to my actual question. Its obvious that those posts were just for your tally, but not intended on being helpful in any way. My point about the speedometer (which is not an issue, and yes it is electronics) is that an engine itself is mechanical. Are there electircal components to it, of course there are, but hence replacing a chevy engine with a chevy engine. Are IBM's compatable with one another, simple non-smart *** answers; yes.

Does anyone remember in the not to distant past when guys liked to beef up their vehicles and swap engines to make them faster? Thats not what I'm doing. I'm swapping engines to make it work. I could drop a 4.8L in it and even get better gas mileage. I posted here because I was hoping an experienced person with some insight could lend some advice. Mudmaniac and MDtahoe have each given me something to think about, thats what I'm here for. Thanks guys.
Old October 15th, 2009, 8:10 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Originally Posted by Pat
Its funny cause I didn't ask any questions about speedometers but the last two guys that posted had nothing to offer in regards to my actual question. Its obvious that those posts were just for your tally, but not intended on being helpful in any way. My point about the speedometer (which is not an issue, and yes it is electronics) is that an engine itself is mechanical. Are there electircal components to it, of course there are, but hence replacing a chevy engine with a chevy engine. Are IBM's compatable with one another, simple non-smart *** answers; yes.

Does anyone remember in the not to distant past when guys liked to beef up their vehicles and swap engines to make them faster? Thats not what I'm doing. I'm swapping engines to make it work. I could drop a 4.8L in it and even get better gas mileage. I posted here because I was hoping an experienced person with some insight could lend some advice. Mudmaniac and MDtahoe have each given me something to think about, thats what I'm here for. Thanks guys.
Stick with us Pat, most of the members due try to make useful post.
Old October 16th, 2009, 2:27 AM
CF Beginner

Hey buddy your car's ECU controls everything about your engine. The ECU is pre-programmed from the factory to work with the original engine, original sensors (which work with voltages), original timing, original fuel injection controls and size...I can go on and on.

Unless you absolutely know what you're doing, I wouldn't pop in another engine even if you can fit the belts and mounting points. I doubt the engine will even start up, and if it does you'll have problems.

Take care buddy.

Quick Reply: Replacing Engine on 1999 Tahoe