Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Programming new key

Old February 9th, 2010, 7:10 AM
K2w
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programming new key

Good morning everyone, purchased my 2007 Ltz couple of weeks ago and I couldn't be happier. Unfortunately it only came with one key and remote. I was able to program the new remote, but the security light stays on when I try to program the new key. I followed instructions to the t. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks.
Old February 9th, 2010, 12:06 PM
CF Junior Member

does it still start with the new key? i have never had one program with the new key and pull a security light.
Old February 9th, 2010, 3:14 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

K2w: Welcome to the forum.

Try searching the forum as I seem to remember the topic being discussed a few years back.
Old February 10th, 2010, 7:11 AM
K2w
CF Beginner

It still starts with original key. Maybe the aftermarket key I got is no good.
Old February 10th, 2010, 11:05 AM
CF Junior Member

ooohhhhh its aftermarket? well get your money back on it and go get you a gm key. its expensive but worth it. get gm key then return a/m key just in case its not the key. ive never heard of one not working when its a new key. pm me if you have any more questions. good luck.
Old February 10th, 2010, 7:22 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would buy it from the dealer. I bought my key and got it cut at the dealer for 35.00 for my 07 tahoe. then I put the original key in the ingntion then start the car, turn off then right away put in the new key and start the car. I think you have to do it with the doors closed. Thats what i did to program mine
Old February 10th, 2010, 8:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wait a minute. What is this "key" programming you speak of and what does it do after programming? All my key does is start the vehicle. It doesn't move the seats or radio stations or anything else.
Old February 11th, 2010, 7:08 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you need a another key cut or an extra copy of your key, the black rubber head of the key has a "chip" or transponder to help prevent stealing the car by just forcing the ignition to turn on say with a big screw driver shoved in the key hole or something or by "hot wiring" After you get the key cut at the dealer or locksmith, you have to go through the programming procedure so you can use that new key or else the car wont start, even though you can turn it in the ignition to the start position. You can save the programming fee ( my dealer charges 50.00 per key) if you do it yourself. The key itself doens't do anything with your audio settings or seat position or anything like that. If you lose all the keys, you have to get the computer in the car reprogrammed at the dealer ($$$) to accept new keys. another good reason to have a third or fourth set.

i think all the 07s on up have it and you can have up to 8 keys (I think) but im not sure about the cheaper cars like the aveo or colbalt. Not all black rubber headed keys have the transponder or even the correct one in there. I think that if the key has a small plus (+) symbol on the blade of the key, it has the chip.
Im sure some one can correct me if im wrong.

When i bought my tahoe, two weeks later my wife and I misplaced our keys for a few hours. after that, i got a third set made so just incase this happens again, we can at least open the doors and drive if we needed to.

Last edited by rruelas; February 11th, 2010 at 7:17 PM.
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:37 AM
K2w
CF Beginner

Got a different key and it works great, thanks.