Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rear Seat Entertainment (again)

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2007, 9:38 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Seat Entertainment (again)

I must have read at least 100 threads about this subject, but I am still confused on a couple of issues.

Have a '07 Avalanche with an OEM Nav bought on Ebay (with DVD and RSE option xxx66).Vehicle has a sunroof and ebony leather.

If I am to purchase a OEMHeadrest DVDs (like the 19159847 on gmpartszone.com) or an OEM Flipdown Screen, will it integrate into my audio system, so I don't neccessarily need to get the audio through the headphones? From many threads it seems like both the flipdown and headrest systems are "seperate circiuts" thatare not connected to the head unit in any way. It seems like some insert the DVD media into the head unit (to show on the flipdown) and someinto the flipdown unit.Perhaps there are differences between the factory installed units and the ones listed on gmpartszone.com?

Would be great if someone has the right info, and could provide this together with some part numbers to avoid confusion.
Old December 29th, 2007, 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Rear Seat Entertainment (again)

I just installed the GM headrest DVD's in my 07 Tahoe LTZ this past week. The control box has an FM wire that broadcasts the audio to one of several FM frequencies that you can select - it seems to be a good signal and sounds fine through my stereo although I have to think hard-wired would be better quality.

Anyway, the control box has one unused female adapter on it and I can't figure out what it's for - I'm beginning to think it's just a blank. I had hoped the control box would have a video (and best case, audio, too) out but it doesn't appear to. According to the schematic, there is an "out" wire that goes to each screen so the video/audio is interchangeable between the two screens, but it is not a standard video cable or RCA plug config - it is a funky plug that is used just for this setup.

I asked the question earlier this week if anyone knew how to get a video out signal from the unit because I want to run it to my nav head unit via the GM 320 lockpick... lots of views, but not a single response.

Finally - I don't have the overhead RSE in my Tahoe, but the manual that came with the headrest DVD's clearly states that it is NOT COMPATIBLE with the overhead unit. That seems to make sense per the installation instructions because there is certainly no reference to how to connect the units.

Hope this helps! Good luck!
Old December 29th, 2007, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

Hey flwildcat,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

At least this gives me a clear answer that the headrest system doesn't seem to have any integration with the car's audio system at all. Would also have been a nice feature, if rear seat passengers could watch navigation screens etc. Not only kids ride back seat.

Sure, a FM modulator is a workable solution, but not excactly "high end" for a car with a multi speaker Bose system. Speaking of FM it is a PIA that the FM band onlyreceives the uneven numbers (xx.1, xx.3, xx.5 etc.) as many European FM stations use the even numbers after the digit. Amazing that US car manufacturers never learn this...

I just wonder why I couldto choose a head unit specifically for a car with Rear Seat Entertainment (RSE), when the systems doesn't seem to connect to it. I am leaning more and more towards skipping it for a Pioneer system. My Nav doesn't work either in Europe - no maps produced.
Old December 29th, 2007, 9:45 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can connect your aftermarket screen to your factory radio and have everything work like the factory setup. I added the OEM Nav and tied it into my Aftermarket panasonic Flipdown screen with DVD Built in. With this setup, I can put a DVD Movie in the Nav unit and everyone can hear it or they can use the wireless headphones and I can control it from the touch screen, or I can put a DVD in the Flipdown screen and press AUX on the NAV unit screen and see and hear it on the OEM NAV with no FM modulators. I just use the aftermarket remote to control the movie. The Flip down screen has two sets of inputs and one of the inputs are running down the piller and under the front passenger seat so I can add Sirius Backseat TV down the road or connect a Xbox 360. When I use the Flipdown screen inputs, everything comes through all the screens, The flipdown and the NAV unit when I press AUX on the NAV unit. I made my own harness with RCA inputs and outputs so it can go both ways but I think you can get one made up by JP customs for around 35.00 last I heard. I have seenmany post on this and cadillac forums disrcibinghow to do this.

As far as installing a factory Flipdown screen, Im not sure how it ties into the unit but Im sure it ties into it via several harnesses. I dont think that there is a special module or I dont think I would be able to tie any aftermarket equipment into the factory system. I know that Visual Logic sales the headrest set for a 07 tahoes that dont include the DVD player. That would be your best bet because it does have a Video input. Just do a search on it and make sure that the head rest screen you chosecan accept a video/Audio input.I hope this helps.
Old December 29th, 2007, 10:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Hey rruelas...since we are on this subject...I know there have been several threads in ref to this...but I also have an aftermarket flip down DVD system in the back and the "clear"audio goes through the headphones but the audio that goes through the FM modulator is crap...I live in the mtns. and sometimes all the audio goes out...I'm guessing its because the FM station loses signal. Is there anything I can do to improve this without ripping the whole dash and headliner out?
Old January 1st, 2008, 1:07 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im going to assume the FM modulator you have is wireless. Try changing the FM channel on your flipdown screen to a station that has nothing playing on it or the most static. You could get a wired FM modulator so it disconnects your factory antenna when the modulator is turned on to minmize interferace. But you will have to go pull the radio to get to the antenna connection. You could connect the output of your dvd player to a RCA to 3.5 Stereo plug. Run it to the front of the car and plug it into the front. You could put it under the seat or have it come out of the little cubbie hole under the A/C controls and tuck it back in when not in use. You could get a AUX input interation adapter that will bypass XM radio when the adapter is turned on and gives you a normal audio input. If you have XM radio, you wouldnt need to pull the radio, its behind the glove box. Just some ideas.

Is the Dvd player built into the flipdown screen or is it mounted somewhere else? Also do you know if the wireless modulator is mounted somewhere else or is it built into the Flipdown screen too?
Old January 3rd, 2008, 10:12 AM
CF Junior Member

The DVD Player and modulator are all in one together I guess. When I purchased the Tahoe..the dealer said they couldn't find a Tahoe with a sunroof and OEM DVD flipdown in the back together. So I had them use a custom shop they deal with and they installed the aftermarket DVD player for me. I will try the new channel and see if it gets any better. Someone once said the reason the headphones pick up so well is because anything that is behind (toward the rear of the truck) the player will pick up the signal better than anything in front (toward the radio). Is this true with all aftermarket players that use an FM modulator? If the different channel doesn't work I think I might try the wired FM Modulator. Thanks for the info.
Old July 13th, 2009, 11:13 AM
CF Beginner

hi, every one i install e oem dvd sistem and everythink is working fine but i can not see the rear screen when i use the dvd, i want to know if i have to do any conection or if i have to configurate my radio thanks
Old July 15th, 2009, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

Stock Video screen on 2005 Tahoe. I just bought this rig and found the Rear Seat entertainment system video screen does not work.
Is there a couple easy things I should check prior to assuming it is shot?
Thanks.