Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rosen Nav

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2010, 1:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rosen Nav

I installed the Rosen Nav on my '08 Tahoe.

I noticed that the sound of the door, seatbelt and turn signal chimes are different. They're not obnoxious but I prefer the factory sounds. Is there a way to get them back?

Also, is it posible to change the skin for the radio? The first picture shows the skin I though I was getting and the second picture shows the actual skin I have on the radio display.

I couldn't find any info on the manual about this.

The help menu in the unti itself does mention the ability to change the skin and the icons but I couldn't find the setting to do it.

I wasn't able to get thru Rosen's customer service so I was wondering if anyone on this forum is using this unit.

Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails Rosen Nav-h135gm0720-o_mt%5B1%5D.jpg   Rosen Nav-dscn1028%5B1%5D.jpg  

Last edited by JC10; May 30th, 2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old May 31st, 2010, 8:30 AM
CF Beginner

JC10
I don't have one of these units but I have been looking at a GM0720 (my '09 tahoe has bose centerpoint). I have not seen anywhere on the net that you can change skins but that does not mean you can't. My question is did you get a -m11 or a -n11 unit. The -n11 is a newer unit and, as far as I can find about it, has some updates to it and the screen may be updates also. I sent an email to Rosen last week asking about the specifics of the update and have not gotten any response. I am hoping they fixed the oem backup cam incompatibility and the loss of full rear seat entertainment control compatibility.
Don't know if the helps any...
How do you like the unit aside from the skin?
Old June 1st, 2010, 2:30 PM
CF Beginner

The unit I have is GM0710-N11. I also send an e-mail to Rosen but they haven't responded yet. I chose this unit because it looks like the factory radio and has multiple features besides the navigation like the bluethooh, USB and SD card ports to name a few. I also have the Rosen rearview camera.
I did some research before I decided to go with this unit. I though I could play a DVD and at the same time listen to music from the SD card but it doesn't work that way. The DVD, SD and USB works one at the time.
This is very disappointing because if you're palying a DVD for the rear passengers you can only listen to the radio in the front, XM or your I-pod which you get to control from the screen if you get the adapter. I'm not an I-pod user so this option does not work for me. Also, the sound quality on the headphones while watching a movie on the back is not that great according to mi kids, they complain about some static noise. The other issue is that you lose the RSE controls like you mention.
The chim sound is different, I can't get use to it even though I've been using the unit for 3 weeks now. I'm not sure if I'll keep the unit. I'm thinking about installing the factory radio back and just buy a portable navigation.
I really like the ability of playing a DVD on the rear display and at the same time listen to a MP3 cd in the front with the factory radio.

Last edited by JC10; June 2nd, 2010 at 5:03 AM.
Old June 1st, 2010, 2:32 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default well

can i ask a stupid question...

why didn't you just install the factory nav?
Old June 1st, 2010, 9:41 PM
CF Beginner

That is a good question.
IMO the factory nav is second rate at best and DVD based. DVD NAVs went out years ago. Places are hard to locate with the UI and the unit has a very irritating quality of making you "Agree" to their UI lock out at speed. To me it is bad enough to not be able to disable the lock out, but they make you agree to it about every month. The other thing is that for the 2009 model there is no ipod interface and the one from PAC is hard to use and non-intuitive.
What I want is a NAV unit that is up to date, does not have nag ware on it, has a good ipod interface, works with the OEM backup cam and the RSE. It does not appear that even Rosen meets all those. It is hard to tell because Rosen does not take calls and does not respond to emails. Not much on customer service.
I have been looking at the Pioneer AVIC-Z120BT but the down side to it is that it takes a lot of hardware to interface to the GMLAN29 like most other non-OEM vendors.
No apparent perfect solution...

Last edited by ptwat; June 1st, 2010 at 9:46 PM.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 8:35 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default well

well... you sound like a tech kinda person (like me)...

If the Ford F-150 Raptor or possibly new expedition gets this little gizmo, GM is history for me.

my 09 head unit has been a constant source of disapointment for all the things you mentioned and more. (Designed by an 80 year old for an 80 year old), no bluetooth A2DP, no caller ID on the headunit with NAME, no address entry in motion (honda lets me!), etc, etc, etc, etc... piece of junk.

under highlights, click 'my ford touch'

http://www.fordvehicles.com/crossovers/edge/2011/

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/07/m...icrosoft-auto/

this thing will change the industry. it can run Pandora, stock quotes, fuel prices, maps, gps, call 911 for you when you crash FREE (Vs OnCrap's monthly fee, lol)

the My Ford Touch make's my 09 Tahoe's head unit (sat nav) look like an etch-a-sketch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNwU4-lxgRU

If you're tech enough, why don't we hack the firmware of the head unit and load the iphone OS? it's touch screen setup, does email (assuming a connection) maps, etc! 100,000+ apps.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 7:20 AM
CF Beginner

That Ford stuff looks impressive. I don't think GM will catch up for some years. I read an article last year that a lot of their vendors were withholding latest tech stuff while they were in bankruptcy. I suspect that Rosen was trying to break into the market with their GM0710 and failed to win out with GM then went the 3rd party route. Too bad they fall just short with the product and then choose to be unresponsive to the consumer market they wish to sell. Seems to me they could make a few changes and be a real winner.
The idea of hacking the radio is appealing but it probably does not have enough horsepower to run a better OS. Nice features that run real slow are just bad as not having them IMO.
Maybe GM will offer a better setup on the present interior style in the next few years before it changes and we can upgrade to that radio.
Looks like I will be in my '09 for some time.