Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

rough idle till warm

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2009, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough idle till warm

I have a 2005 chevy tahoe with the 5.3 in it. when you first start it up it idles like it has a big cam in it, but as soon as the engine warms up it idles fine. runs fine no matter what. my brother works for a chevy dealership and said that the number seven injector was dirty. he cam down and cleaned injectors and tried it and it didnt do it after that, but the next day it started doing it again. anybody else have a similar problem?
Old June 16th, 2009, 8:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spenny
I have a 2005 chevy tahoe with the 5.3 in it. when you first start it up it idles like it has a big cam in it, but as soon as the engine warms up it idles fine. runs fine no matter what. my brother works for a chevy dealership and said that the number seven injector was dirty. he cam down and cleaned injectors and tried it and it didnt do it after that, but the next day it started doing it again. anybody else have a similar problem?
My 04 has a nice bop, bop, bop out the tailpipe until warm, I've heard a few suburbans start up in parking lots that sound the same. a little lopey when cold. I did some Redline fuel system cleaner with no change and have been doing Lucas cleaner since, I buy that stuff by the gallon and use it in all my cars w/ fuel injection.

Last edited by jimweis; June 16th, 2009 at 8:22 PM.
Old June 16th, 2009, 9:10 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is about a 95% chance that it needs intake gaskets. That is almost the exact symptom. Once the engine is warm everything expands and seals back up