Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Rough Ride - How to check Air Ride Compressor

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2012, 7:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough Ride - How to check Air Ride Compressor

Hello,
We have a 2008 Burb LTZ that we bought used with 5x,xxx miles on it. It now has 96K. I noticed when we first bought it how much better it rode than our 07 Tahoe. After a while, I noticed how rought it was over speed bumps, pot holes and the ride quality has degraded. How do you check to see if the air ride is working properly. I checked both fuses out under the hood and they are good.

Thanks in advance.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 2:27 PM
CF Junior Member

If it has the after markey Air Ride system it should have schrader valves you can check the pressure at. Not sure about a factory system.
Old October 3rd, 2012, 9:36 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Put a lot of weight in it, if it levels out to correct height it is working. Usually if it is not woking the a service suspension light will come on.
Old October 4th, 2012, 10:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Can you hear the compressor running when you place a load on back?
Old October 8th, 2012, 7:23 AM
CF Beginner

No and I have noticed that it is sagging a little too. Also, I have gotten Service Stabilink Traction Control unit message intermittenly......
Old October 9th, 2012, 9:49 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TNHaney
Hello,
We have a 2008 Burb LTZ that we bought used with 5x,xxx miles on it. It now has 96K. I noticed when we first bought it how much better it rode than our 07 Tahoe. After a while, I noticed how rought it was over speed bumps, pot holes and the ride quality has degraded. How do you check to see if the air ride is working properly. I checked both fuses out under the hood and they are good.

Thanks in advance.
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> TNHaney,

The system is fully automatic and is activated when the ignition key is turned to RUN and will automatically adjust vehicle height thereafter. The system may exhaust (lower vehicle height) for up to ten minutes after the ignition key has been turned off. You may hear the air compressor operating when the height is being adjusted.

If you are experiencing a sag and Stabilitrak warnings, I encourage you to consult with a certified technician for an official diagnosis. They will be able to provide more information after inspecting the vehicle.

Please keep us posted.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old December 27th, 2013, 6:35 PM
CF Beginner

Does the autoride air compressor control the front shocks also?
Old December 30th, 2013, 1:29 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, the front shocks are set ride height. They do have variable stiffness though...
Old May 27th, 2014, 9:56 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry to thread jack...

But I have a 08 Tahoe LTZ and my problem is similar. It all seems to work fine but when I tow I can hear the compressor vent and release the air. Then it fills the shocks back up...over and over.

Sometimes it holds for a while and sometimes it dosent...im thinking about just picking up a new compressor.

any thoughts would be appreciated
and yes I am a newbie first post
Old May 28th, 2014, 3:49 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats not your problem. Its your shocks.

Quick Reply: Rough Ride - How to check Air Ride Compressor