Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Both Key Fobs Not working Correctly

Old April 22nd, 2008, 1:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Both Key Fobs Not working Correctly

Both of my Key Fobs have decided to quit working properly. # 1 Key Fob has quit unlocking the doors completely. #2 Key Fob will intermittenly not work. I can reset the #2Key Fob andit willbegin to work but after unlocking a few timesit will quit again. I could do the same with # 1 Key Fob but now since the button completely does not work I cannot. I have changed the battery in both so that should not be an issue. I suspect maybe they are just simply wearing out. Any opinions??
Old April 22nd, 2008, 2:21 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default RE: Both Key Fobs Not working Correctly

are the fobs exposed to high moisture? maybe cleaning the contact points with an electronic cleaner or alcohol.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 3:58 PM
CF Beginner

No high moisture that I know of. I live in a humid environment but I would not consider that to be high moisture. I have not tried cleaning the points. That is definately worth a try as those Key Fobs from my understanding are a bit expensive to replace. Thanks for the advice.
Old April 22nd, 2008, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

ok...so i took the #1 Fob apart and cleaned the points. Well it appears that they were quite dirty!!! However the blackdots on the inside of therubber buttonshas two small grooves in it. It appears that it is not making proper contact with the points. I tried to unlock with the side used for locking and low and behold it worked. So that leads me to belive that I need a new rubber insert. Any suggestions where to purchase one??
Old April 23rd, 2008, 2:22 PM
Administrator

the cleaning probably resolved it, I wouldn't think that repalcing it wouldn't be needed unless you use it a lot ( many times a day) or are really pressing hard on it. (excessively)
Old April 23rd, 2008, 10:20 PM
CF Junior Member

I found some really good deals on ebay for replacement key fobs. I would try there first and see if you can find something that works for your year and model. Actually you will have to know the numbers on the back of the fob. Take a look and most will come w/ reprogramming instructions (jumper wire sequence and lock unlock series of steps). Hope this helps and good luck as I broke mine and had to replace, but it was easy.
Old April 24th, 2008, 8:08 AM
Administrator

If the pads are th only thing needing replacement the rubber buttons can just be swapped out without the need to do any reprogramming to the FOB, assuming the electronis of the FOB are not the issue.
Old April 24th, 2008, 9:57 PM
CF Active Member

If you're going to purchasekey fobs, buy them from the dealership. There are posts on this forum explaining why.
Old January 29th, 2022, 6:32 AM
CF Beginner

Default Program them both while in step four...

Originally Posted by Mandi0175
Both of my Key Fobs have decided to quit working properly. # 1 Key Fob has quit unlocking the doors completely. #2 Key Fob will intermittenly not work. I can reset the #2Key Fob andit willbegin to work but after unlocking a few timesit will quit again. I could do the same with # 1 Key Fob but now since the button completely does not work I cannot. I have changed the battery in both so that should not be an issue. I suspect maybe they are just simply wearing out. Any opinions??
When both fobs aren't in sync anymore, put key in ignition, turn forward, but Not to the On position. Click on the dash, the button that brings you to set your remote. Follow these steps; click on reset remote, hold down BOTH Lock and Unlock at the same time til you hear a beeping sound. Then pick up your other remote and do this same process. When all fobs are programmed, turn off the key. Then turn forward and start your vehicle. Both fobs should work now.

Old January 29th, 2022, 7:29 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 152 Posts

14 yr. old post will not get any replies or reads. As a newbie check the last posting dates to see if current.