Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 10th, 2015, 5:52 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Towing & Hauling Guides
Print Wikipost

Trailer Hitch Drop

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2011, 9:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer Hitch Drop

I've only towed anything a few times with a previous truck but I'm moving and need some help. I have an 07 Tahoe LTZ 4WD that I will be hooking up to a 5x8 Uhaul trailer. Which hitch do I need for towing? On the Uhaul site is has two, a 2 1/4 and a 3 1/2 drop. I'd like to be able to hook up larger trailer later on with the same hitch. Thanks in advance
Old July 29th, 2011, 10:26 AM
CF Beginner

I am betting the bigger drop. One way to tell is to measure the distance from the ground to the top of the trailer hitch ball connector. Your hitch should set on with no more than about an inch change. I pull a travel trailer and had to add a 6 inch drop to allow trailer to set square with the surburban.

Only an opinion. Nothing more.
Old July 29th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On most Manufactured Trailers, they'll tell you at what height the Tongue should be at, to operate the team safely.

They make "adjustable" Hitches, where you can set the Tongue Height to the proper place. Those things are expensive, and one would have to do
a lot of Towing, to justify buying one IMHO.

I'd go for a mild 2-4" drop, and evaluate the situation on an individual
basis. ie: adjust your speed and loading according to the situation.

BTW/FYI:
Your maximum Gross Trailer Weight is 7700lbs, which means you can put 770lbs on the tongue.
With a 5x8 UHaul, I doubt very seriously if you're going to overload the vehicle
On the Tongue Height, it's better to err on the "a little lower than level".
Heavier stuff up front in the Trailer.
Check Air Pressure in ALL the tires, get it up toward max for better control.
Brake before turns, not during.
When purchasing Towing Parts (Hitch Insert/*****/etc) get a weight rating equal to or greater than your capacities.

Last edited by SWHouston; July 29th, 2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old July 29th, 2011, 11:37 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks!
Old August 1st, 2011, 1:35 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

I got a 9" drop hitch for mine and it sets the trailers I've pulled level. IIRC the standard hitch height is 19" from the ground.

Surprised that the U-Haul guys didn't know that.
Old May 16th, 2014, 2:06 PM
CF Beginner

If you need to find out the right hitch for your truck, you can type in your year, make and model at Reese Hitches and they can help you out. They also provide really detailed installation instructions so you can do it yourself.<style>table { }td { padding-top: 1px; padding-right: 1px; padding-left: 1px; color: black; font-size: 12pt; font-weight: 400; font-style: normal; text-decoration: none; font-family: Calibri,sans-serif; vertical-align: bottom; border: medium none; white-space: nowrap; }.xl65 { font-family: "Myriad Pro"; }.xl66 { font-size: 13pt; font-family: "Myriad Pro"; }</style>