Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Safety Alert

Old December 18th, 2014, 10:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Capacity

Can you post your info source that states the max tow capacity is 6300?

This is a link to the 6300lb info
http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...ring-guide.pdf

When I bought my first Tahoe in March there were no active links on the website. I could not download a brochure, an owner's manual, or a towing guide. None of these items were available at my dealer. The only source for trailering info was on the website. www.chevrolet.com/tahoe-full-size-suv/specs/capabilities.html As you can see this page clearly shows that the Standard towing max is 8300lbs. I did not learn differently until I was able to read my owner's manual after I brought the Tahoe home. My dealer did not have the complete info either. They verified my findings by reading my owner's manual. None of their other sources had been updated to include the 2015 model.
Old December 18th, 2014, 10:49 AM
CF Beginner

intheburbs
I too have a 30 foot travel trailer. I do not pull this with my Tahoe. My Tahoe is used to pull a horse trailer. Fully loaded with 2 horses it weighs just under 7500lbs. I do agree that this weight is pushing it. However we very seldom tow with two horses so the load is closer to 6500lbs.

Last edited by gonefishin018; December 18th, 2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old December 18th, 2014, 10:52 AM
CF Beginner

SabrToothSqrl
I'm with you! After 45 years of being a loyal Chevy owner I will never own another!

Last edited by gonefishin018; December 18th, 2014 at 10:56 AM.
Old December 18th, 2014, 4:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by gonefishin018
I was forced to trade in the under capacity Tahoe and took a loss of over $5,000 because of. Chevrolet’s false advertising and because even my dealer did not know that standard towing was 6300 and not 8300.
Not to throw more salt onto your wounds but when I go to Chevy's build tool for Tahoes and select the max trailering package option, this is the pop up I get:

Maximum Trailering Package
A 3.42 rear axle ratio
Trailer brake controller
4WD models include 2-speed active transfer case
LS and LT models include Z85 Premium Smooth Ride Suspension Package with Air leveler

I could see how changing the gear ratio could increase tow rating but that could be done at an independent shop for a few hundred dollars. Maybe the air suspension too but if you got an LTZ, that's moot. I doubt the brake controller would add to the tow rating. How about the transfer case though but if you didn't get 4wd that wouldn't matter either?

Regardless, would all of these cost $5k?
Old December 19th, 2014, 7:21 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default dealer

I'd be livid at the dealer for not providing accurate specs...

did they sell you another tow rated one at a good discount?

Not that any dealer knows their product... ok maybe my favorite company Tesla, but technically that's a showroom

When I went to buy my first Wrangler Rubicon, I asked where the air compressor was for the lockers... when the sales man pointed to the A/C unit under the hood I put him on time out.

When my wife was looking at a JK at the PA auto show, specifically the doors, she asked how to remove the doors... the man beside it, from the stealership, said "they don't come off"... fortuitously the other man from the same dealer was a friend of ours... who told the first guy to "just walk away, she knows more about this thing than you do".

And yes, even with power door locks and windows... the JK doors... are removable.

TLDR edition: Sales people know how to sell. They don't know products.
Old December 19th, 2014, 10:06 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
I'd be livid at the dealer for not providing accurate specs...

did they sell you another tow rated one at a good discount?

Not that any dealer knows their product... ok maybe my favorite company Tesla, but technically that's a showroom

When I went to buy my first Wrangler Rubicon, I asked where the air compressor was for the lockers... when the sales man pointed to the A/C unit under the hood I put him on time out.

When my wife was looking at a JK at the PA auto show, specifically the doors, she asked how to remove the doors... the man beside it, from the stealership, said "they don't come off"... fortuitously the other man from the same dealer was a friend of ours... who told the first guy to "just walk away, she knows more about this thing than you do".

And yes, even with power door locks and windows... the JK doors... are removable.

TLDR edition: Sales people know how to sell. They don't know products.

The dealer and I have gone round and round about this. Small claims is next. Although I believe Chevy is ultimately responsible.

I did get a discount on the second Tahoe because of my Credit Union. However I lost over $5000 on the trade in. When I traded it in there was only 800 mile on the odometer.
As an interesting note Chevrolet gave my dealer a "refund". I guess it was to cover any loss they had. I don't know how much.
Old December 19th, 2014, 12:18 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by suburbansr4me
Not to throw more salt onto your wounds but when I go to Chevy's build tool for Tahoes and select the max trailering package option, this is the pop up I get:

Maximum Trailering Package
A 3.42 rear axle ratio
Trailer brake controller
4WD models include 2-speed active transfer case
LS and LT models include Z85 Premium Smooth Ride Suspension Package with Air leveler

I could see how changing the gear ratio could increase tow rating but that could be done at an independent shop for a few hundred dollars. Maybe the air suspension too but if you got an LTZ, that's moot. I doubt the brake controller would add to the tow rating. How about the transfer case though but if you didn't get 4wd that wouldn't matter either?

Regardless, would all of these cost $5k?

I found the Tahoe on the lot. It had everything I wanted. I could not ask the dealer my question because it was a Sunday and the dealer was closed. It turns out that the dealer did not know the answer to my question anyway. So I went home and researched my question on the Official Chevy Website. The website clearly shows that the standard Towing for Tahoes is 8300lbs. This figure met my needs so I decided to buy. Nowhere on the site does it say that the max towing package is "required" to achieve the 8300lb. rating. Also nowhere on the site is the real standard of 6300lbs mentioned.
Old December 19th, 2014, 12:38 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by gonefishin018
I found the Tahoe on the lot. It had everything I wanted. I could not ask the dealer my question because it was a Sunday and the dealer was closed. It turns out that the dealer did not know the answer to my question anyway. So I went home and researched my question on the Official Chevy Website. The website clearly shows that the standard Towing for Tahoes is 8300lbs. This figure met my needs so I decided to buy. Nowhere on the site does it say that the max towing package is "required" to achieve the 8300lb. rating. Also nowhere on the site is the real standard of 6300lbs mentioned.
What I was trying to get at was instead of taking a $5k loss and trading in for another tahoe with the tow package, that it probably would have been cheaper to get the items included in the tow package listed on Chevy's website (once they finally made it available) installed onto your existing Tahoe. It's a $500 manufacturer option. I can't imagine it would cost 10x's that to have those components installed on your own. Maybe I'm oversimplifying but that's what I would have done.
Old December 19th, 2014, 3:29 PM
CF Beginner

the specs on my 03 1500 suburban is around 7300 gvrw with a max towing cap. of 8300 lbs the newer ones are a lot lighter wow
Old December 19th, 2014, 3:52 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
Toys make the Tahoe look small lol
No offense, but that's because it is.

12' cargo trailer? Sure. 20-foot, 2000-lb boat? No problem.

30' travel trailer, or some other 6,000-8,000-lb trailer? I think that might be asking too much.

Typical curb weight for a Tahoe is ~5400 lbs. Things get interesting very quickly once the trailer approaches 75-100% of the weight of the TV when using a bumper hitch. No way, no how, would I ever pull an 8300-lb trailer with a 5300-lb TV. That's over 150% the weight of the TV. Bad idea with a bumper hitch. Picture yourself trying to walk with legs that have three knee joints.

Short wheelbase, low curb weight, makes for, IMHO, a tow vehicle for light-duty use only.

Wheelbase? 116" (my Burb is 130", and I'd love it to be even longer)
Curb weight? 5349 - 2wd (my Burb is 6512)

FYI - this is probably the most unbiased, comprehensive information on trailer towing capabilities you'll find: CLICK HERE

Last edited by intheburbs; December 19th, 2014 at 3:56 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Safety Alert