Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Seat belt chime

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2009, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FNA People, You act like the guy is asking how to strap his kids to the roof. I have an 07 Tahoe, and that stupid chime drives me bonkers too. I wear my seatbelt and I don't smoke crack, but I don't need my car to remind me of either. The stupid thing will still ding if I wear my seat belt, but forget to strap my suitcase into the passenger's seat. Why don't you go sit at the McDonald's drive-thru and tell all those people they're gonna die too?
Old March 24th, 2009, 4:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if you find the sensor wires for that seat belt and just loop them. if it would act like its always buckled up. or you can just buckle it up and sit on it. theres an option
Old March 24th, 2009, 8:42 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

It has been 2 years, 4 months, and 24 days since this post fell away and was buried below many newer posts...
nice dig up.
Old March 25th, 2009, 4:03 PM
CF Junior Member

In my experience all you have to do is follow a pair of wires from the seatbelt harness to an electrical connector and disconnect. DO NOT jumper them together. The circuit is normally closed when unbuckled and open when buckled so simply disconnecting the wires keeps the circuit open. This should not have any adverse effect on the airbag system since the electronics think that you are buckled. That is precisely why the system doesn't keep harassing you about buckling up. It is kinda' reverse psychology; it seems like you are disconnecting something but you are really overriding the system and forcing it to think that you are buckled. This has worked for me in a '88 Subaru, '96 Suburban and a '06 Suburban. In the '06, the procedure was the same for both driver and passenger although it was a major P.I.T.A. in the '06 to gain access to the connector. I have heard on '07 and newer that the wires should be jumpered together. I have no knowledge on the '07 and newer but I am certain on the models that I mentioned above, simply disconnecting the wires disables the reminder chime.

BTW, I do buckle up. I don't need my car or truck trying to harass me if I am idling in the street talking to a neighbor, if I don't feel like it, or whatever...
Old March 26th, 2009, 6:13 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

If you're idling in the street and it's harping at you, then you're not buckled up. Personally I wouldn't care except there are those that are thrown clear and turn into a ward of the state which then raises all of our insurance rates. Sort of the same thing w/ helmets. I don't care if anyone wears them as long as they agree to forfeit their health care from their insurance co.
Old March 26th, 2009, 6:38 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
Probably going for the Darwin award.

See attached pic:
Attached Thumbnails  Seat belt chime-darwin-award.jpg  
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:15 AM
CF Junior Member

I guess if I turn onto my dead-end street and see that nobody is coming, unbuckle right before my driveway, then stop to visit with a neighbor, I am willing to take the risk that someone may pull out of their driveway and slam into my vehicle, throwing me and causing me to be a veg for all of you to pay for. What are the chances of that happening? I guess I am selfish, wait, actually as part of my being responsible, I have health insurance too.

It is so exhausting that any discussion of disabling the babysitter / lawyer / liability / "you're an idiot" mode of GM vehicles DRLs, auto headlights, setabelt chimes, can't use Nav while driving, etc... turns into, why would this idiot want to do that?

Maybe DRLs are good, maybe they are bad, maybe some states pull you over for not having them, maybe some states don't, maybe they make it harder to notice motorcycles, maybe not, maybe they use more power and fuel, maybe not. Maybe they won't let me into Canada without them, maybe they will. I don't care. If someone asks how to disable something, why can't we discuss that instead of the merits of such a decision.

In Montana, the legislature is debating whether a seatbelt offense should be worthy of pulling someone over for or not. They claim that they will save so many lives if not wearing seatbelts is a primary offense. I wear my seatbelt anyway and would even without any law at all. If I ride a motorcycle I wear a helmet, not because a bunch of people in Helena who have never ridden told me to but because I do have a brain. This amazing feature also allows me to know when to use headlights. It also allows be to have common sense. Maybe when I am turning into my driveway late at night and my headlights are going to shine straight into my neighbor's bedroom window, or I am stopped behind a small car in my Suburban and I can see in their mirror that I am blinding them, I would like to be courteous and shut off my headlights or DRLs. Wow, that sounds risky. What nerve I have.

I have a Ford Windstar with an "old-fashioned" switch. It has selections for parking lights, headlights and OFF! Amazingly, when we drive it at night, our headlights are on. Go figure. YEAH FORD!!!
Old March 27th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy
I wonder if you find the sensor wires for that seat belt and just loop them. if it would act like its always buckled up. or you can just buckle it up and sit on it. theres an option
I think that is what one of the posters did, think it was on the second page...
the chime I'd like to disable is the one for the doors being open so I can leave the door open and listen to tunes while cleaning her up or just jammin' in the drive way
Old March 27th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by DPLarson
I guess if I turn onto my dead-end street and see that nobody is coming, unbuckle right before my driveway, then stop to visit with a neighbor, I am willing to take the risk that someone may pull out of their driveway and slam into my vehicle, throwing me and causing me to be a veg for all of you to pay for. What are the chances of that happening? I guess I am selfish, wait, actually as part of my being responsible, I have health insurance too.

It is so exhausting that any discussion of disabling the babysitter / lawyer / liability / "you're an idiot" mode of GM vehicles DRLs, auto headlights, setabelt chimes, can't use Nav while driving, etc... turns into, why would this idiot want to do that?

Maybe DRLs are good, maybe they are bad, maybe some states pull you over for not having them, maybe some states don't, maybe they make it harder to notice motorcycles, maybe not, maybe they use more power and fuel, maybe not. Maybe they won't let me into Canada without them, maybe they will. I don't care. If someone asks how to disable something, why can't we discuss that instead of the merits of such a decision.

In Montana, the legislature is debating whether a seatbelt offense should be worthy of pulling someone over for or not. They claim that they will save so many lives if not wearing seatbelts is a primary offense. I wear my seatbelt anyway and would even without any law at all. If I ride a motorcycle I wear a helmet, not because a bunch of people in Helena who have never ridden told me to but because I do have a brain. This amazing feature also allows me to know when to use headlights. It also allows be to have common sense. Maybe when I am turning into my driveway late at night and my headlights are going to shine straight into my neighbor's bedroom window, or I am stopped behind a small car in my Suburban and I can see in their mirror that I am blinding them, I would like to be courteous and shut off my headlights or DRLs. Wow, that sounds risky. What nerve I have.

I have a Ford Windstar with an "old-fashioned" switch. It has selections for parking lights, headlights and OFF! Amazingly, when we drive it at night, our headlights are on. Go figure. YEAH FORD!!!

You are correct on about every point, but we have to set everything to perform at the pace of the weakest link (Darwin winners) in our societies.
Sure we can say, hell let them kill themselves off (little chlorine in the gene pool never hurt right?) but unfortunitly too many of us users of common sense get taking out with them. Its all collateral damage until it impacts you, then its an outrage that something isn't being done.

Encourage your local state and government officials to implement an aptitude test as prerequisite for obtaining a drivers license or even a set of car keys.

Oh wait you can't do that, it might offend the dumb *** that wants to drive at night with his lights off....

great circle of viciousness it is....
Old March 27th, 2009, 1:17 PM
CF Junior Member

I would support more rigorous testing for handicapped and seniors (even if/when I become one) but what representative would support something that the disabled advocates and AARP would freak out over, None!

What was the question?

Oh yeah, disable seatbelt chime, I think we covered that, disconnect the electrical connector from the harness, don't jumper it.

Door chime. I'm not sure if it depends on the model or year but usually just change the ignition position from Acc to ON. Make sure the climate controls are off so the fan doesn't run and drain the battery. Also use the dome override if equipped so the dome light doesn't drain the battery. There may be other things running in the ON position so this may not be a good solution for all day on a construction site but for an hour or two while wrenching on something in the driveway or whatever there should be no ploblem, I do it all the time.

Quick Reply: Seat belt chime