Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Seat belt chime

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2013, 3:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its the light where it indicates if someone is in the passenger seat or not it stays on and the seatbelt chimes like every 30 seconds for someone to buckle up but the seat is empty.
Old February 26th, 2013, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Welcome to the forum
Its possible the sensor got wet, but you'd have to be pretty darn wet to soak it that much... you may have gotten the connector wet and it may have corroded a bit... I'd disconnect and re-connect the connectors under the seat....
If that doesn't resolve it you may need to pull the seat out and inspect....
I can't speak to the Traverse but when I pulled the seats out of my daughters Cobalt to clean up a coffee spill the sensor was not to difficult to access...
I was pretty soaked but it is leather seats also with the little perforated holes for the cooled seats and warmer .but it started like the day after all this happened and it was just sparatic now my wife says it stays on constant and sealtbelt chimes but nobody is there.
Old February 26th, 2013, 8:29 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

I suspect that in2pro's suggestion is the best place to start. Even if there's a small amount of moisture in the connector, it may allow enuf leakage current to "fool" the computer.
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by in2pro
... Its possible the sensor got wet, ... you may have gotten the connector wet and it may have corroded a bit... I'd disconnect and re-connect the connectors under the seat....
If that doesn't resolve it you may need to pull the seat out and inspect....
I can't speak to the Traverse but when I pulled the seats out of my daughters Cobalt to clean up a coffee spill the sensor was not to difficult to access...

Originally Posted by 73shark
I suspect that in2pro's suggestion is the best place to start. Even if there's a small amount of moisture in the connector, it may allow enuf leakage current to "fool" the computer.
In addition to the good advice above, the sensor itself may be retaining some moisture inside its casing.

I had an outside ambient temp sensor with this problem. Yes this is a different sensor and designed to be outside in the weather but the plastic case cracked, allowed moisture in and temperature readings that usually changed right away (for example when moving after a false high temp after idling a while or moving from a heated garage into sub zero temps) took a long time to correct themselves. Replaced the sensor and works perfectly. Basically in that case, the sensor still worked but it was surrounded by water so it took longer to be correct. That specifically has nothing to do with how an airbag sensor works but it is just a possibility that whatever case surrounds or protects this sensor could itself be flooded. But as others said, check connectors too.

And after re-reading the entire thread, gee, a possible reason someone might want to disconnect a seatbelt chime but it does not mean they are deserving of a Darwin award or not wearing a seatbelt, simply that perhaps they don't want the chime.

no chime no seatbelt
Old February 27th, 2013, 2:21 PM
Administrator

The chime goes off when the belt is buckled so the only reason for disabling the chime is because they don't want to buckle. Which is fine w/ me. Just hope they have a DNR so our insurance rates don't go up.

We lost an All-Pro linebacker a number of years ago cuz he rolled his Esky on ice and was thrown clear. He survived that but died as a result of a blood clot which stemmed from the accident.

Anyone that has seen the Highway Patrol's rollover simulator will probably always buckle up. It's an eye opener.
Old May 13th, 2014, 11:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default seat belt chime

Originally Posted by bjaber
Yes....buckle your seatbelt.
I recently put in a new rug in my 2000 Chevy Tahoe and I put everything back in now the seat belt chime will not go off. I have my seat belt on and it still rings it stop when I apply the brakes but when I press back on the gas it start again please help me with this issue please.
Old May 14th, 2014, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

Default seat belt chime

I wear my seat belt can you tell me how to get the sound to stop do you think I put the seats back in wrong
Old July 27th, 2014, 3:06 AM
CF Beginner

Default dumb

You all a f'n retarded the guy is asking for help and all you can come up with is a stupid answer. There are several circumstances wear the chime can be absolutely the most annoying noise in the world not just while driving. But I'm glad to see that you all are such law abiding citizens. I bet if there was a law that you had to jump off a bridge every morning you would not break that one either. Either help the guy out or dude post its that simple. Annoying, find something more productive do with your time ******
Old July 27th, 2014, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by shwntpwll
I recently put in a new rug in my 2000 Chevy Tahoe and I put everything back in now the seat belt chime will not go off. I have my seat belt on and it still rings it stop when I apply the brakes but when I press back on the gas it start again please help me with this issue please.
Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like maybe a connection didn't get made when you put things back together.
Old July 27th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by manderson024
You all a f'n retarded the guy is asking for help and all you can come up with is a stupid answer. There are several circumstances wear the chime can be absolutely the most annoying noise in the world not just while driving. But I'm glad to see that you all are such law abiding citizens. I bet if there was a law that you had to jump off a bridge every morning you would not break that one either. Either help the guy out or dude post its that simple. Annoying, find something more productive do with your time ******
You sound like the people who maintain that one is safer to be thrown clear in an accident than to wear a seatbelt. Statistics will prove you wrong.

Quick Reply: Seat belt chime