Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1995 Suburban K2500 Barn door key lock

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2022, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 1995 Suburban K2500 Barn door key lock

I have just redone a 1995 3/4 ton Chevy Suburban and had the body shop replace the rear Barn (Cargo) doors. My question is related to the key lock on the right Barn door. The electric locks work fine from the cab on all the doors including these 'new' Barn doors. My ignition key opens the driver's door and starts the vehicle as always. I am trying to remember if the original Barn doors key lock was that same ignition/driver's door key. Currently I cannot open the rear with the key (the electric lock works fine from inside the vehicle). Were the 1995 Suburban models a 'one key' vehicle. I had a 1994 GMC Suburban and that vehicle had separate keys for the doors and the ignition but that was changed and the 1995 has the double cut key vs single cut (2 keys) for the 1994 models

If the barn doors are supposed to be able to be 'key opened' with the ignition/door key has anyone had any luck with getting the lock tumbler for the Barn doors re-keyed to match the ignition/door key from a locksmith?.

I know that Chevrolet dealers can produce keys using the VIN but in this case that won't help as the Barn doors are not original. I think the body shop screwed up and did not change the rear key lock and of course they know nothing about any of that when I asked them. Any suggestions would be appreciated and also any clues s to removing the Barn door key lock to give it to a locksmith to make it match the ignition/door key. Thanks in advance for any help! Ken
Old December 3rd, 2022, 7:07 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I'm guessing the body shop can't give you the VIN of the vehicle the doors came off of either.
Old December 3rd, 2022, 8:01 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the 'Welcome'. Unfortunately the body shop is playing dumb and disposed of my original doors before I picked up the vehicle or I probably could have caught their error of not changing the tumbler from my original door to the 'new' replacement doors. Is the 1995 series a 'one key' format then without a separate Barn door key? I would like a verification on that anyway and then any clues on removing the key lock; and then its off to the locksmith,.... I think!!!

I obviously intend to keep the vehicle after re-fluffing everything (it has a 454 c.i. big block and lower geared differentials which makes for a great tow vehicle when you need one). I don't like the idea of not being able to manually key open the rear doors as if the electrics ever fail it would be a big hassle to get them open, which has been noted by several other Forum members with lock issues and problems.

Any info or suggestions on getting the lock tumbler part out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your reply. Ken
Old December 3rd, 2022, 8:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Maybe the body shop should step up and remove it for you.
Old December 3rd, 2022, 8:13 PM
CF Beginner

I hadn't thought of that,..... It's possible they know something? I also will probably try to get some information from a dealer is all else fails. Tnx. KTM
Old December 3rd, 2022, 8:37 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

I would think that the interior door panel on the side that has the tumbler in it would be relatively easy to remove if it's similar to the other doors. Probably just take a screwdriver and a panel removal tool to pop it off. GM typically uses just a horseshoe clip to hold the lock assembly in the door then.
Old December 4th, 2022, 9:10 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

"If" I remember correctly, our 1994 Suburban had an oval shaped key for the doors and the rear, and a squared key for the ignition. But don't hold me to that.....
Old December 4th, 2022, 9:18 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

Usually a locksmith can make a key for a door lock without removing the tumbler section, but it is easier with it removed..

If you call one or two locksmiths they should be able to provide all the info you need,, including charges.