Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 6th, 2015, 2:15 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

seat heater is possessed!!

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2014, 10:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rlfarrar
Did anyone finally find the solution to the drivers heated seat going berserk? What about disconnecting the switch on the door panel? Mine works normally when the door is open and engine running. Could the wiring be shorted between the door and body?
The problem in 99/100 cases is a very thin layer of dust on the outer PCB from the Driver side Door Module ( So NOT the switch board from the seat heaters/seat memory). The module is based within a temperature barrier and prone to condensation.Together with a layer of dust this creates a short ( specifically in the 5 volt reference circuit). Repair is easy:
-Remove upper triangle from door ( pull upper side first )
-Remove bezel from inner door handle ( snap-in )
-Remove single screw behind door grip
-Lift whole door panel upwards
-Locate DDM ( module with window/mirror switches )
-Remove all connectors
-Remove one screw on the front of the module. Module comes out on inner side.
-Open module ( plastic tabs ), take out outer PCB carefully ( only one connector )
-Clean thoroughly with WD-40 and brake cleaner, let dry for a couple of minutes.
Whole thing takes under an hour, and less than $1...
Cheers!
Old June 12th, 2014, 8:17 AM
CF Beginner

Newbie here....
So the wacky seat heat seems to be a common problem. Mine does the same thing, erratically coming on when not wanted.
I'm glad I found this forum. Now to use all the above to trouble shoot the problem....

Edit:

One other thing, which connector under the seat goes to the seat heat, just in case I want to just disconnect it.

Last edited by Bob Ware; June 12th, 2014 at 8:18 AM. Reason: addendum
Old June 13th, 2014, 5:58 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Bob Ware
Newbie here....
So the wacky seat heat seems to be a common problem. Mine does the same thing, erratically coming on when not wanted.
I'm glad I found this forum. Now to use all the above to trouble shoot the problem....

Edit:

One other thing, which connector under the seat goes to the seat heat, just in case I want to just disconnect it.
Bob, unfortunately it's not that simple. You can unplug the whole seat, but you'll lose handy functions like adjustments and such... Unplugging the heated pads is also possible, but the unit still gets the wrong signals, and the lights & relays will keep clicking on and off. Unless you like driving a pinball machine, I wouldn't recommend it.
Old June 25th, 2014, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default Disabled

I can do without seat heat in June. I found that there are two connectors under the seat that send power to the heaters. Unplug the 6 pin connector (gray) The green two pin connector (seat back) piggybacks from this one, so unplugging the grey connector disables both seat and back. This way you do not have to suffer a burning butt til you have the opportunity to do it right before Winter......

Oh, another thing. Disable the airbags by pulling the airbag fuse, or disconnecting the negative cable to the battery. The airbag control module is under the driver seat, and you don't want to take a chance on popping the bags.

Last edited by Bob Ware; June 25th, 2014 at 3:14 PM.
Old June 25th, 2014, 8:12 PM
CF Beginner

My 05 does the same thing sad to say I haven't looked into it but most likely should just be the switch ..possibly the module
Old May 1st, 2017, 3:30 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Deirdre Cooke
Hot Seat. I did fix my driver side seat heater problem on my 03 Suburban. It turns out there was a short in the heating element in the seat. I replaced it myself. If your seat heater comes on randomly and cycles through the heat settings, you likely have the same problem. When it does, whichever element (back or bottom) gets hot, the one that isn't getting hot needs to be replaced. I ordered a seat bottom heater on Ebay for about $75 and replaced it myself. It is a bit tedious, but I'm not overly mechanical and was able to do it myself. You will need inverted torx bits because you have to remove the whole car seat from the truck, disconnect the electrical circuits under the seat and then remove the leather from the bottom seat cushion. It is a couple of hour job. I found a video online on how to replace the leather on your seats. Just google for a video on how to change out the leather. It will show you how to remove the 4 seat bolts, disconnect the wiring and remove the leather. It also shows how to stick the new seat heater to the foam. The job wasn't bad and will save you a couple of hundred bucks. My seat heater has worked like a champ all winter. Best of luck.
I know it's been five years but my 03 Suburban just started with this nonsense. Think I'll try the seat heating element and see if that works.
Old April 11th, 2020, 3:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks!

Thanks! Followed every step. And so far so good. DIY like a Boss Mom! I give update if it defaults.

Originally Posted by meermohr
The problem in 99/100 cases is a very thin layer of dust on the outer PCB from the Driver side Door Module ( So NOT the switch board from the seat heaters/seat memory). The module is based within a temperature barrier and prone to condensation.Together with a layer of dust this creates a short ( specifically in the 5 volt reference circuit). Repair is easy:
-Remove upper triangle from door ( pull upper side first )
-Remove bezel from inner door handle ( snap-in )
-Remove single screw behind door grip
-Lift whole door panel upwards
-Locate DDM ( module with window/mirror switches )
-Remove all connectors
-Remove one screw on the front of the module. Module comes out on inner side.
-Open module ( plastic tabs ), take out outer PCB carefully ( only one connector )
-Clean thoroughly with WD-40 and brake cleaner, let dry for a couple of minutes.
Whole thing takes under an hour, and less than $1...
Cheers!
Old October 20th, 2020, 12:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat heater possessed

Why does it work normally when the door is open and the engine running?
when I first got my 2005 avalanche 2500 I opened the drivers door to see where I was backing up and ever since my driver's door says it's open and inside lights come on and off. We replaced the door latch assembly but it didn't fix it. Now my seat heat on drivers and passengers come on and off. Seems to be worse after it rains.
The following users liked this post:
dougo55 (December 4th, 2022)
Old December 2nd, 2022, 7:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Have you figured it out?

Did anyone finally find the solution to the drivers heated seat going berserk? What about disconnecting the switch on the door panel? Mine works normally when the door is open and engine running. Could the wiring be shorted between the door and body?
I am having the same problem as you. Any chance you figured it out??????
The following users liked this post:
dougo55 (December 7th, 2022)
Old December 4th, 2022, 9:05 PM
CF Beginner

A few weeks ago my heated seats went nuts , so i disconnected the green wire under the seat Today i replaced the element and when I shut the door the driver seat back heater switch activates (i can see it on a scan tool) open door it deactivates this occurs even if i lock the door switch with a screwdriver , any one have any suggestions or experience