Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 2:28 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

Service 4 Wheel Drive???

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2009, 12:12 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service 4 Wheel Drive???

The only issue I've ever had with my '07 is this damn error message. It comes on sporadically and will go away when I turn the truck off. I've been to the dealer 3 times for it, but unfortunately I can't seem to get there when it's on so I just tell them the issue and hope they fix they it. It really sucks because it's so inconvienent to get to the dealer. Well they obviously have no idea because it happened again yesterday. Can anybody tell me WTF???
Old December 21st, 2009, 12:43 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default camera

keep a small digital camera, or your cell phone most likely has one in the car... snap a pic!

sounds like a faulty sensor to me...
Old December 22nd, 2009, 6:21 AM
CF Beginner

mine does it too sometimes it will blink service 4 wheel drive. took it to dealer said cant duplicate. i am tired of takin my hoe to dealer waste of time. i just ignored it.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 7:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by jinzhenheng
mine does it too sometimes it will blink service 4 wheel drive. took it to dealer said cant duplicate. i am tired of takin my hoe to dealer waste of time. i just ignored it.
Was the error on when you were at the dealer?
Old December 22nd, 2009, 8:07 AM
CF Beginner

Default Just Happened to me last night for the first time!!!

Same here, I was turning in "Auto" through a parking lot and the Truck was Bogging down as I turned the steering wheel to pull into the parking stall.I thought that was weird.Sure enough the "SERVICE 4WHEEL DRIVE" sensor kicked on.I proceeded to change the setting to 2 wheel and I heard a loud bang.Assuming that was the hub unlocking itself,sensor went off when I restarted the vehicle.
Old December 22nd, 2009, 10:03 AM
CF Beginner

OK,I just took it to the dealership,there was a slip differential from the from the front of the truck and the rear so my computer shut down the four wheel drive.They took it for a test drive and fixed it in about a 15 minutes...
Old December 23rd, 2009, 6:46 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine does it also. It started in this snow storm. I did some reasearch but have not tested anything yet. There is a reflash for the computer to correct this problem. It is in a GM TSB.
Old December 24th, 2009, 8:06 AM
CF Beginner

I wonder if the traction control and the 4 wheel drive are throwing each other off???
Old December 24th, 2009, 3:08 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by cpadilla13
I wonder if the traction control and the 4 wheel drive are throwing each other off???
I don't think so. It seems to be random. It happens to me in 4 wheel auto with traction on and it happened the other day when I was in 4 wheel high with the traction control off.
Old January 23rd, 2010, 4:08 PM
CF Beginner

My 2000 Tahoe had the Service 4 Wheel Drive light that would come on and off. I took it to the dealer yesterday. They said the 4WD switch on the dash was malfunctioning. I didn't have them change it and today while driving down interstate my tahoe started switching from 2WD to 4WD on its own as a result of the malfunctioning switch. Im not sure yet if anything got damaged. I hope not. I just installed a new transmission on Tuesday.

Quick Reply: Service 4 Wheel Drive???