Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Service Batt. Charging Message

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2015, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll double check all the terminals tonight when i get home. Make sure all is good with them just to have peace of mind.
Old June 11th, 2015, 4:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default System charging light on

Hi everyone I too had a problem with my system light kicking on and off well I checked the battery and the alternator both checked out fine well when I got to tracking down the problem you wouldn't believe the money I was about to blow on a new battery and altenator come to find out next to the battery bolted to the body there's a 2" fuse that says 175 little fuse on it one side is connected to the back of the altenator and the other connected to the battery that $8.00 fuse was the cause of all the problems draining my battery so if your having this problem check that first before u blow all your $$$ hope this helps you !!!!
Old June 11th, 2015, 7:27 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tomtom661
Hi everyone I too had a problem with my system light kicking on and off well I checked the battery and the alternator both checked out fine well when I got to tracking down the problem you wouldn't believe the money I was about to blow on a new battery and altenator come to find out next to the battery bolted to the body there's a 2" fuse that says 175 little fuse on it one side is connected to the back of the altenator and the other connected to the battery that $8.00 fuse was the cause of all the problems draining my battery so if your having this problem check that first before u blow all your $$$ hope this helps you !!!!
Can you upload a pic of location of the fuse? Is it bolted onto the firewall or fender? Im not knowledgeable about this, but how can a fuse cause a power drain?

I'm curious to know, my OCD is making me feel like this problem is about to happen to me as well, lol.

Last edited by Typerod; June 11th, 2015 at 7:30 AM.
Old June 11th, 2015, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Typerod check out this link, I post a pic of it a while back

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...roblems-62736/
Old June 11th, 2015, 11:09 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by in2pro

Thank you sir!
Old June 11th, 2015, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

The fuse may be referred to as the Mega Fuse or also the Positive battery cable fuse...
They are about $6 and probably good insurance to keep one in the glove box if you are the type to help someone with a jump start...
Old June 11th, 2015, 2:30 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Typerod
Can you upload a pic of location of the fuse? Is it bolted onto the firewall or fender? Im not knowledgeable about this, but how can a fuse cause a power drain?

I'm curious to know, my OCD is making me feel like this problem is about to happen to me as well, lol.
The reason it causes the battery to drain is on side is hooked up to altenator and one side is hooked up to battery so if it's blown it's not letting the altenator charge the battery so no power is going threw so car is running off the battery and drains it.

P.s just alil FYI for those that don't know much if u think it's the altenator another great way to check that fuse and altenator without a load tester or taking it to the shop while the car is runing take the positive cable off if the car dies immediately the altenator is not charging the battery. The battery is only to start the car and hold memory when the car is off hope it helps

Last edited by Tomtom661; June 11th, 2015 at 2:38 PM.
Old June 12th, 2015, 8:35 AM
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tomtom661
The reason it causes the battery to drain is on side is hooked up to altenator and one side is hooked up to battery so if it's blown it's not letting the altenator charge the battery so no power is going threw so car is running off the battery and drains it.

P.s just alil FYI for those that don't know much if u think it's the altenator another great way to check that fuse and altenator without a load tester or taking it to the shop while the car is runing take the positive cable off if the car dies immediately the altenator is not charging the battery. The battery is only to start the car and hold memory when the car is off hope it helps
AHHHH....makes soo much sense now. Thanks for the explanation!
Old January 12th, 2016, 11:07 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro

Is there a way you can post a pic. I got to link and it displays page not available...
Old October 10th, 2016, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, so I just fixed this issue. After going and having the software update done, ad testing the alternator the dealership could not figure out the problem. I put a voltmeter on the alternator myself checkig on the DC side. (Should have a constant 13.2-14.8 volts coming out of the alternator). I noticed the voltage would stay high for approximately 1 minute, then drop down. Which explains why it passed the quick test multiple times. I went and bought a new alternator despite dealership recommendations (spending just under 1000 bucks with them) compared to th 200 i spent on my own. After replacement my monthlong problem was solved. Hope this helps. Replace your alternator. Save your money.

Quick Reply: Service Batt. Charging Message