Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Short brake life on 2013 Sub

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2015, 8:19 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default brakes/tires

I was able to get 60,000 out of the OEM brakes and tires on my 2009.

But I also brake very lightly... I like to coast.
Old March 30th, 2015, 10:29 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am replacing mine, my habits seem to warp rotors......I have no idea what I am doing that causes this. I have studied my habits and asked my family and friends.

I have always replaced rotors with slotted and drilled.
Old March 30th, 2015, 11:53 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Rapid heating and cooling causes warping. Stay away from those puddles.

My Impala tended to warp rotors, but I also drove that car hard. Happened three times over 100k miles.
Old March 30th, 2015, 2:23 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by intheburbs
Rapid heating and cooling causes warping. Stay away from those puddles.

My Impala tended to warp rotors, but I also drove that car hard. Happened three times over 100k miles.
I remember driving to Florida from NY on 95 in my 2001 Suburban coming down a long steep hill some traffic and a big puddle at the bottom. Rotors were done after that Bad vibration from that point on
Old April 2nd, 2015, 12:53 AM
CF Beginner

The rear brakes on my 2012 Suburban didn't need changing till I got to about 55k miles. I changed them a second time while doing the front brakes for the first time at 100k miles. Not sure why the rear brakes wear so much faster than the front, and the inner pads (those in contact with the piston) wear much faster on the outer pads, especially in the front.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 6:41 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

You need to check the caliper slide pins and make sure they are lubricated properly. Sounds like the caliper and/or the piston is sticking.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 8:26 PM
CF Junior Member

[QUOqTE=Wosby;298906]The rear brakes on my 2012 Suburban didn't need changing till I got to about 55k miles. I changed them a second time while doing the front brakes for the first time at 100k miles. Not sure why the rear brakes wear so much faster than the front, and the inner pads (those in contact with the piston) wear much faster on the outer pads, especially in the front.[/QUOTE]
Is that mostly highway mileage? That's pretty good. My fronts had some life left at 34k but rears were done. Either the prior owner drove really hard on the brakes or GM went with cheaper pads in 2013. I'm happy wither he Duralast,Gold,Cmax pads so far. No noise and they feel,good
Old April 3rd, 2015, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the rear brakes get all the throw off from the front wheels and crud up; will not slide proper as was mentioned. the inner rotor surface is always the first side of the rotor to rust, groove and pit which wears the pads more.
people who do yearly brake service (clean and lubricate the caliper pins and brackets) do not have this problem.
Old April 21st, 2015, 11:00 AM
CF Junior Member

My OEM tires had to be replaced at 34,000 miles. My wife's Sequoia tires are half gone at 7,500 miles. Apparently new car tires are crap.
I wonder if, to reduce the cost of a new vehicle, the auto manufacturers have asked the tire industry to provide a tire that get's fewer miles? Is the new tire warranty (in terms of expected mileage) different on new vehicle tires?
Old April 21st, 2015, 1:43 PM
CF Addict

Originally Posted by TWard
I wonder if, to reduce the cost of a new vehicle, the auto manufacturers have asked the tire industry to provide a tire that get's fewer miles? Is the new tire warranty (in terms of expected mileage) different on new vehicle tires?

OEMs do not purchase any tire warranty. So it's the same tire, but no warranty...
If your asking if they do what some makers do and have a OEM specific tire, that's the 'same' tire, but comes off a different assembly line... well anything is possible.

Quick Reply: Short brake life on 2013 Sub