Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Smoke at start up

Old September 10th, 2010, 2:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smoke at start up

I have noticed that when I start up my 07 Tahoe I get a puff of smoke on occasion but I cannot readily replicate it. I live in Alabama and its about 90 degrees so I don't think it is a temp issue. I have also received a "low oil" message and have added about a quart of oil. One problem I have is that I've only had it a month and have not had the oil changed so its kind of hard to get a completely accurate reading of how much oil I'm actually using. Is there anything that normally causes this or that I can check? It has 95k on it so if it is something that is covered by the powertrain warranty I want to get it checked out quickly. Also I recently had the fuel injection cleaned so they might be some of the carbon burning but I had noticed the smoke a few times before that. Thanks
Old September 10th, 2010, 3:02 PM
CF Beginner

A small amount of smoke at start-up and the fact that it's consumed oil is an indication of valve guides going bad. While the engine is at rest residual oil at the top of the head along the valve train leaks down via the valve guide and collects in the cylinder. Once the engine starts it immediately burns this residual oil hence the puff of smoke.

A compression / leak down test can confirm this.
Old September 10th, 2010, 9:04 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Not sure how a compression test or leak down will check valve guides since the valves are closed when you get a reading. Comp. check is for rings/cyl walls and valve seats.

Now the valve guides could be worn but I'd first suspect the valve seals. Not sure what these new engines use for valve seals.
Old September 13th, 2010, 8:39 AM
CF Beginner

So is there a test the dealer can do to confirm the problem or am I going to run into the issue of having to reproduce the smoke, which I can't always do?
Old September 13th, 2010, 9:17 AM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Probably have to leave overnite so they can see it upon start-up. That's usually when you'll see it if it's valve seals/guides.
Old September 15th, 2010, 3:39 PM
CF Beginner

Most importantly, get this resolved BEFORE your warranty expires!!!
Old September 15th, 2010, 4:09 PM
CF Beginner

So I dropped it off at the dealer last night to let it sit over night. Lucky it "smoked like a freight train" the service guy said when they statred it. He said they did some test and the PVC valve is defective. They are ordering it and some seal that they will be replacing tomorrow. Hope this fixes everything.
Old October 21st, 2010, 10:09 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mturnerua
So I dropped it off at the dealer last night to let it sit over night. Lucky it "smoked like a freight train" the service guy said when they statred it. He said they did some test and the PVC valve is defective. They are ordering it and some seal that they will be replacing tomorrow. Hope this fixes everything.

Just wondering how this repair worked out for you and what the seal was they replaced?
Old October 21st, 2010, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by zr800
Just wondering how this repair worked out for you and what the seal was they replaced?
I believe they replaced the PVC valve and seal and the valve cover seal. It has not had any smoke or oil loss since the repair.