Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Snow Plow Suburban 15' Question

Search this Thread

Old September 30th, 2016, 6:01 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow Plow Suburban 15' Question

So I was looking at putting a slow plow on my 2015 Suburban. Chevy doesn't give a front axle weight because of a variety of reason that I have been told (voids the warranty, not recommended, etc...). Just curious if anyone has done this on the new platform Suburban?
Old September 30th, 2016, 5:26 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Half-ton trucks are generally not stout enough for plowing. If you do, you'd be best going with one of those lightweight plows designed specifically for half-ton trucks. And don't forget you want to add weight in the back as well to better balance the truck when the plow's on.

Just look on the sticker in the driver's door jam. Your front axle weight rating should be right on it. It'll be labeld GAWR FRT, on mine it's near the top in the center.
Name:  stickertoupload_zps4bec3b35.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  96.8 KB

You'll have to weigh the truck to find out how much weight is currently on the front axle. Subtract that from the FAWR and that's how much weight you can put on with the plow.

This is my truck when empty, with me standing on the front axle pad:
Name:  20131228_185736_zps25dfc9c3.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  87.5 KB

So, subracting my 275-lb fat butt, I can put a little over 1,000 lbs on my front axle. But keep in mind, this is a 3/4-ton Burb.

Last edited by intheburbs; September 30th, 2016 at 5:30 PM.