Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

95 K2500 Front Hub Bearing Removal

Old March 13th, 2011, 1:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 K2500 Front Hub Bearing Removal

I am replacing rotors on my truck, which requires removal of the front hub and bearing assembly.

The 4 bolts that secure this assembly to the steering knuckle are not turning, corroded and a socket spins loose.

Has anyone encountered this, and what is the best way to proceed?

Thanks.
Old March 13th, 2011, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Not sure what the configuration is but you might try a nut splitter. There's also special sockets that will grip rounded off nuts. If you go that way, soak them w/ Kroil or other good penetrant. Heat helps to if you have a propane torch. As last resort you can use a smoke wrench.
Old June 24th, 2011, 11:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2500 4X4 rotor and hub removal

Just got done with this problem. Other posts note these are 15 mm BC (Before Corrosion). They are torqued tighly and round off easily. I pounded a 9/16" deep wall impact socket over the rounded nut and was able to loosen the bolts with a 2' long socket driver. The deep well gets you out past the CVJ boot so you can get a straight shot with the socket driver. Before figuring this out, I completed rounded one bolt. I used a Bolt Out Damaged Bolt remover from Sears. This tool really does work. Pound it on so it will get a bite. I have used it for other bolts. Buy the set now because you will need one sometime.

Once you get the bolts loose, drive the hub out of the steering knuckle by pounding on the 4 bolt heads. You have to drive it about 1/2" or so. If you try to use a puller on the hub or rotor, you will separate and destroy the bearing. Consider replacing the 4 bolts with new as they are cheap enough on line. Also consider putting in a new hub if the bearings are of unknown life. My bearings felt fine, but the lube was dried up. (I discoved this after I used that puller and separated the bearing).