Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Stant locking gas cap

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2009, 7:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stant locking gas cap

For anyone out there like me who was shocked and amazed that Chevy did not include a locking gas door on a $50k truck, or at least a locking gas cap, I purchased the Stant locking gas cap for my 08 LTZ. It works great! I got it on Amazon for about $19 including shipping. It might seem like a lot for a gas cap, but again, it's to keep honest people honest. If people want your gas, they will get it, but I'm also worried about what they will put in the gas tank, not just what they will take out.

Like I said, I bought this and use it. I had one on my 95 Tahoe and loved it. It might seem a little tricky to some since the key and cap must turn at the same time, but it's really only a quarter turn and it's off. It also is E85 approved, so your dash light doesn't go on. I've heard some people have had issues with it, but I've had mine for a few months and still no problems. Here's the link with the correct model number for 2008's:

http://www.amazon.com/Stant-10511-Lo.../dp/B000C846NW
Old April 13th, 2009, 8:32 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to let you know that you can remove those caps by squeezing the sides with channel locks and twisting it off. If you put a rag over it, it will not damage it. You will not even know it was removed. We have to do it often at the shop,when the customer does not give us the key and we need to add chemicals to tank or drain it to remove the fuel pump.
Old April 13th, 2009, 9:38 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Also if someone is going to steal your gas today, they can't get a siphon hose in anymore, so they just punch a hole in your plastic tank and get it that way.
Old April 14th, 2009, 7:05 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Yeah that still chaps me that there is no longer a steel pan covering the fuel cell...
Old April 14th, 2009, 11:47 AM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

If they wanted bad enough, they could get it whether it has a pan or not.
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Not so much worried about theft as I am potential damage if you go off road, granted if it gets the tank it will have probably have gotten the tire(s) first....
Old April 14th, 2009, 1:46 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Thats true too. If you are doing anything in rocky terrain or through the woods that would be nice to have.
Old April 15th, 2009, 3:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MDTAHOE
Just to let you know that you can remove those caps by squeezing the sides with channel locks and twisting it off. If you put a rag over it, it will not damage it. You will not even know it was removed. We have to do it often at the shop,when the customer does not give us the key and we need to add chemicals to tank or drain it to remove the fuel pump.

Well, it's better than nothing. It will at least keep those unprepared gas thieves out. And if it keeps them from stealing $20 worth of gas, then it's paid for itself. But thanks for the heads up.
Old April 15th, 2009, 3:50 PM
Administrator

From my exp with changing out fuel pumps is that you, for all practical intent and purpose, can not siphon gas from a late model Tahoe via the filler neck no hose or tube will go down into the tank, only liquid or small particles could pass.
A locking gas cap will prevent most delinquents from contaminating your fuel.