Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Starting and clock issues 03 Chevy Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2011, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting and clock issues 03 Chevy Tahoe

Long story short we have a 2003 Chevy Tahoe. Intermittent problems started about a year ago here and there. The clock was resetting when I would first start it in the am (summer days and cold days didn't matter outside temp) as well as the starter would occasionally grind and the horn may or may not work. We started with replacing relays. Horn works no problems now. The other two issues continued. A friend that work for Chevy replaced the ignition switch over 6 months ago. The clock stopped resetting. Starter still sticks (makes the metal grinding noise) this weekend we replaced the starter even though it tested fine. So far no starter sticking noise BUT now the clock keeps resetting to 12:00 on the first start of the day. And while yes, I might be over thinking it, when we start it in the am it just "sounds weak" no idea what the technical term is for that?? Any ideas what this could be? Has anyone else experienced this? Also, our speedometer motor went out. We are waiting on new motors for the cluster panel and going to try to fix it by replacing just the motors . . .
Old December 12th, 2011, 11:03 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check all your grounds, there is a thread (or two or three) around here somewhere on this problem. I just ended up putting in a new battery (even though it tested good) and cleaned all the grounds and checked the wiring, wife says it is been fine since.

For the speedometer we just use a Garmin GPS, if anymore gages fail I will just replace with aftermarket.