Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old August 4th, 2015, 3:49 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:
Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Stealth Alarm in Tahoe won't allow the car to start - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stealth Alarm in Tahoe won't allow the car to start - HELP!

I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe 4WD. We bought the vehicle in 2006 as the second owner and the Stealth alarm/startup system was already on the vehicle. We are not sure if this was a factory thing or if the first owner had it installed. Either way, we have never had an issue with it starting. Last Sunday we went to start it up for the second time that day and nothing...wouldn't start. We have been having an issue every since then. One time it will start, the next time it will not. We don't care to have the Stealth anymore, so if anyone has any additional information that could help us, please let me know! I just want to be able to have reliability in the Tahoe. If someone can tell me how to disable it that would be great!! Or if there is a quick fix, please let me know. We took it to our local mechanic and he said it was a factory alarm thing and sent us to a dealership. When we got to the dealership, they said it was an after-market alarm system. So we don't know....any info would be appreciated. Thanks!!

256jessica
Old May 2nd, 2011, 9:16 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Is the PO still around? Or did you buy from a dealer?
Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:33 PM
e
CF Senior Member

A little more info is need.

1. Does the alarm still work? Arm/disarm lock/unlock doors
2. Factory keypads or aftermarket?
3. Remote start system?
4. Any led light indicators insight that we can use for trouble shooting?
5. Do you have anyone that can access or remove interior dash panels to access wiring?
6.When you say "doesn't start" what happens when you turn the key?
Old May 3rd, 2011, 10:47 AM
CF Beginner

Is the PO still around? Or did you buy from a dealer? We bought it from a dealership and it has since went out of business.

1. Does the alarm still work? Arm/disarm lock/unlock doors ??? The so called alarm system has never went off so all we know is push the button on the remote and it will start.
2. Factory keypads or aftermarket? We were second owners and the stealth was already on the vehicle so we are unsure if it is factory or aftermarket. A mechanic said factory but we took it to a dealership and they said "aftermarket" so we are leaning toward aftermarket because they probably have seen more of them than that mechanic.
3. Remote start system? no the remote was have for vehicle only locks/unlocks doors and has a panic button. The remote for the stealth has two buttons...one button has one line and the other button has two lines.
4. Any led light indicators insight that we can use for trouble shooting? nope
5. Do you have anyone that can access or remove interior dash panels to access wiring? yes my husband or my brother can do that if we need to
6.When you say "doesn't start" what happens when you turn the key? the engine doesn't turn over at all...all the interior lights and radio come on like normal.

I hope this helps. If you need any more information let me know.

The tahoe started later in the day yesterday so I did my few errands and got home without ever turning it off. But as soon as I got back in driveway I tried to restart it and nothing....that's what it has been doing since last Sunday.
Old October 25th, 2012, 1:16 AM
CF Beginner

Default Stealth disabler

Just had the same problem. To make a long story short, if the engine won't crank, then the factory stater relay was swapped out with the decoy stealth relay. Pull the starter relay and replace it with a stock starter relay. Mine started right up after doing this. i know that this is a year after your posting. But your posting helped me today. maybe this will help someone else if not you.
Old November 15th, 2013, 10:56 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Hello

I have the same problem as the 256jessica. I have Stealth remote control engine lock. after using it for 7 years, the remote button is not working well. My car would not start yesterday. Please knidly help me with teh following questions.

1. Where can i find someone to remove / cut the wire ?
2. or I can order the same remote on Ebay, but someone has to re-pogram it, who can i get to help with it?

3. I think the company is no longer in business, but there must be someone/company that can help me. My car dealer was not very helpful.

Thanks and appreciate your help and feed back. I am in San Francisco. Ca.
Old January 18th, 2014, 10:26 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Noelle S
Hello

I have the same problem as the 256jessica. I have Stealth remote control engine lock. after using it for 7 years, the remote button is not working well. My car would not start yesterday. Please knidly help me with teh following questions.

1. Where can i find someone to remove / cut the wire ?
2. or I can order the same remote on Ebay, but someone has to re-pogram it, who can i get to help with it?

3. I think the company is no longer in business, but there must be someone/company that can help me. My car dealer was not very helpful.

Thanks and appreciate your help and feed back. I am in San Francisco. Ca.

I too had this same problem. the easiest and quickest fix is to exit the truck and shut all the doors, put the key in the drivers side door and turn it to the locked position two times, then turn the key to the unlock position two times. after this the ignition will work properly again. I believe the truck was unlocked when I used the procedure but you may have to try it either way. the doors must be shut though. I read this sequence in the manual and apparently it is common procedure gm/chevy trucks. the truck started immediately after I did this. I figured the problem might return but its such a simple fix, I haven't continued to dig for what might actually be causing the ignition to lock. generally it happens after the alarm is set off or if you lock and unlock the truck several times while sitting in it.. then try to open the door. hope this helps.
Old July 28th, 2015, 2:41 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oscul
Just had the same problem. To make a long story short, if the engine won't crank, then the factory stater relay was swapped out with the decoy stealth relay. Pull the starter relay and replace it with a stock starter relay. Mine started right up after doing this. i know that this is a year after your posting. But your posting helped me today. maybe this will help someone else if not you.
He's correct, I have a Ford F-150 with similar problems. My sensor switch stopped working after the battery died and I couldn't remember how to reprogram it and both the dealer and stealth went out of business. For years I had been using only 1 key. Couldn't find an answer until I saw this forum. I removed the starter relay inside the trunk and replaced it with a standard relay. Worked without any problems. The funny thing is that the dealer had left the original ford stock relay in the glove box. I had no idea what it was until I bought and after market relay. Goodluck to all if you're still having this issue.