Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

No GPS error

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2010, 8:28 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts
Default No GPS error

I noticed on my return to KC last week that the GPS had a red slash thru it and showed me about 50 miles from where I was. Was going to take it in and then decided to eject the DVD since a few months ago I got a read error. That time the DVD had a film on it and after cleaning, worked well.

This time I could not find anything so put back in and viola, all is OK. Go figure. Never had that problem w/ the 07.
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Maybe time to take a can of air duster to the dvd read head....
Old December 30th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Administrator

I'll give it a try. Wonder if one of those head cleaning CDs w/ the little brushes would work? I'm just wondering why this one is getting so gunked up in less than a year when the other one didn't.
Old December 31st, 2010, 8:08 AM
Administrator

If I were to take a guess from your description of the issue, it would suspect VOC's or gases given off by the new plastics and other materials of the radio and vehicle itself... heat seems to really bring them out.
I see it alot with my camera lenses that sit in the bag for extended periods of time and when I have left the lens cap off, the UV lens will get a haze or fog on it. It cleans off easily enough but its a nuisance.
Old December 31st, 2010, 12:08 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this happend to our Tahoe randomly also, it was after the dealership replaced our dash. after about 10 miles of driving the GPS got back on track and was fine but at 1st it was not even close.
Old January 18th, 2011, 7:10 PM
Administrator

I'm beginning to think something came loose as now even w/ the "no GPS", it still knows where it is and can navigate.
Old April 25th, 2011, 1:19 PM
Administrator

Nav update: While the truck was in getting some PDR hail damage work done, I had them check out the Nav. Still getting no GPS icon until the interior temp gets warmed up, although it using works fine except when it doesn't know where it is. Even then it still interferes w/ the Valentine 1 until have been on the road a long time. Not sure why a GPS unit needs to radiate RF either.

Service mgr called GM tech folks and they said that this is a new design unit and for an unknown reason a film builds up on the DVD. They claimed that the Valentine 1 was possibly causing the problem even if it was off. Couldn't explain why it worked fine for a year w/o a problem. They said that the reason it seems to work normally even w/o GPS was the unit uses the Stabitrak sensor info to sort of do a "dead reckoning" type of navigation. Not sure how it knows where it's starting from w/o GPS input tho.

They seem to think that the DVD mat'l is part of the problem. Now I was born at nite, just not last nite. They also don't think the 6.0c version would fix the problem.

The service mgr will call them again about the "voice tag" part not working. Will be interesting to hear what they say about that.

Jeff Morris: Anything you can do here?
Old April 25th, 2011, 2:41 PM
Administrator

The film or fog on the disk is very plausible as some plastics can oxidize or out gas, I see this on some of my UV lens for my camera when I leave it in the bag without the lens cover on, not all of them do it but some coatings I suspect can be more susceptible but that would not explain some of the other issues...

EDIT:
Haha sorry I just read where I said the same thing back in December...

Last edited by in2pro; April 25th, 2011 at 2:42 PM. Reason: forgetful....
Old April 25th, 2011, 5:11 PM
Administrator

I was in my 60s before I started doing that.

BTW I think all plastics outgas to some extent which is why most become brittle w/ age. It's also contributes to that "new car" smell.
Old April 25th, 2011, 6:44 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 73shark
I was in my 60s before I started doing that. .
in your 60's or because of the 60's.......lol

Quick Reply: No GPS error