Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Steering Wheel Removal - Help "95 K2500

Search this Thread

Old April 1st, 2013, 12:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Wheel Removal - Help "95 K2500

This should be asimple question for those that have done this before – but I found a number ofparts and misc items to make my new (used) ‘Burb whole again, including a nicevirtually new looking leather steering wheel in the junkyard. How in heck do they come off? I started with mine, figured I’d get it offand spend less time in the yard wrenching on it. fficeffice" /><o></o>

Couldn’t get itoff. How far into the steering column doI need to go? I saw how the backsteering wheel plastic comes loose, but it’s one piece. Took the bottom plastic off of the column,couldn’t get the ignition out to get the top plastic off. Is this what is needed? <o></o>

Any help muchappreciated.<o></o>

’95 K2500 Burb<o></o>
Old April 1st, 2013, 6:39 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once you pull the horn or air bag I just loosen the nut and grab the wheel at 3 and 9, then wiggle it front to back on each side. It should pop off. If not you'll need to get a steering wheel puller.
Old April 1st, 2013, 7:12 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for responding - it's the bag that I couldn't get off. My airbag is good, I would like to keep it. Just couldn't find anything behind it to take it off. I saw the two torx screws behind the steering wheel, that loosened the rear plastic, couldn't find anything else to get the bag off...
Old April 1st, 2013, 9:02 PM
CF Active Member

On your truck, to remove the air bag, make sure that your airbag is working properly, by turning on the ignition and making sure that the air bag light goes out. If it does, first disconnect the battery on your truck and wait 30 minutes before you work on the airbag.

Locate the airbag removal holes on the side of the steering wheel. To remove the Airbag, insert a allen wrench in the hole 1 5/8" to disconnect the airbag release. Hold the airbag with an open palm and when it releases, slightly move the bag up. Then go to the oposition side and release the other side.

Once the bag releases, be careful handling the bag.

The videos on autowoods are not for your truck, but will provide you with some guidance on how to remove the airbag.

Video for Airbag disarming procedures before removal of airbag and steering wheel.

Good luck with your upgrade.
Old April 1st, 2013, 10:56 PM
CF Beginner

Good video's, although this airbag release isn't in my '95. I gave it a good look through in sunlight, and it's got to be one of those PITA easy things that I'm just overlooking. Still can't find the release... I think I may go back to the junkyard and MAKE SURE I get the leather wheel I want... The airbag is released on that one... still, while I was there this last Sat I couldn't see any easy to get it off...

Other's must have had the same difficulty - it's like a brand new leather steering wheel that someone wrecked, gutted except for the wheel on the inside...

any other hints on the 95-99 series interiors?
Old April 1st, 2013, 11:05 PM
CF Beginner

Alright, found a great video for anyone that finds this thread:

Explained...

Thanks folks. Good info on the safety side.

rook