Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

This Suburban is driving me crazy

Old February 17th, 2012, 5:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This Suburban is driving me crazy

Here's the facts:

2004 Chev Suburban Z71 4WD
Well maintained (for what that's worth)
190,000 MILES
CHECKED FLUIDS BEFORE PROCEEDING

1. REPLACED FRONT BEARING ASSEMBLIED - BOTH SIDES (Began having loud "grumbling" sounds that sounded like bearings. Since I'd replaced my front right bearing assembly last year, I thought it was likely the left front and replace that one. That was not the problem. Later on, thought that perhaps the one I'd just replaced a year ago was bad and replaced that again ... it was NOT the problem either).

2. REPLACED CARRIER BEARINGS (ADJACENT TO THE DIFFERENTIAL) AND REAR WHEEL BEARINGS (really thought the sound was bearing related and replaced all these without any real decrease in noise except related to the already high mileage made the rear end a little quieter).

3. REPLACE UNIVERSAL JOINTS ON BOTH FRONT AND REAR DRIVE SHAFTS, BUT DID NOT REBALANCE SHAFTS (based on posts that bearing replacement doesn't absolutely require rebalancing AND I'm on a budget).

4. REPLACED TRANSFER CASE WITH A REBUILT UNIT (finished this work last night and it still makes loud bearing-like noise). When I tried putting it into H4, it lurched and wouldn't go in. The SERVICE4WD announcement came on.

Any ideas?
Old February 17th, 2012, 8:45 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Buy a toyota?

I loathe my '09 Tahoe.
Old February 18th, 2012, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
Buy a toyota?

I loathe my '09 Tahoe.
Move to Japan.
Old February 19th, 2012, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

so what exactly is your issue? a growling in the front or the 4wd light? can't help much without knowing what you were trying to fix
Old February 21st, 2012, 7:21 AM
CF Addict

Toyota just invested another $300 million in a US factory.

The Tahoe is built in Mexico, maybe you could move there?

The "All American" sports car... the hunk-a-junk camaro: Engine: MEXICO: Car: Canada.

GM is as American as Sony.
Deal with it, then buy a car from a company that doesn't build crap.
Old February 21st, 2012, 11:53 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by cleveland63b
so what exactly is your issue? a growling in the front or the 4wd light? can't help much without knowing what you were trying to fix
I agree, need a little more info. Have you checked your ring and pinions?

Might be a problem with the rebuilt transfer case, for the not going into 4H, maybe linkage.

A sound clip of the growling might help.

Toyota just invested another $300 million in a US factory.

The "All American" sports car... the hunk-a-junk camaro: Engine: MEXICO: Car: Canada.

GM is as American as Sony.
Deal with it, then buy a car from a company that doesn't build crap.

A Non-Union factory, that allows them to compete on US soil. Toyota has Plants in Mexico and Canada also.
Old February 21st, 2012, 1:44 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Last time I checked, the Tahoes were assembled in Arlington, TX.
Old February 21st, 2012, 1:51 PM
CF Addict

Arlington and Ecuador (hybrid)

List of General Motors factories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry, maybe it was the last one. My point is, "American" companies don't mean anything. I don't care where it's made if it doesn't fall apart. I'm disgusted with my Tahoe and until GM offers to buy it back at fair market value, I will continue to inform anyone and everyone of my disdain for GM. Ford is looking great of recent. I drove a Raptor, Explorer and Edge at the PA auto show. way more high-tech, and much better fit / finish... while GM was too scared to bring any cars to the ride and drive... Oh snap, GM rushes to announce a 500 HP camaro? why? because they, like everyone else know, Ford bitch slapped them with a 650 HP mustang. Ford didn't take any Gov't loans. GM and Chrysler should have died. I don't see my company being bailed out...
Old February 21st, 2012, 3:44 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Isn't the 650Hp Mustang built at the Shelby factory outside of Las Vegas. Wouldn't that make it a tuner?

The Wikipedia link didn't list anything.

While I agree that there are a lot of things I would have done differently on the Tahoe and that GM should have been allowed to go thru normal bankruptcy, the bondholders shouldn't have been screwed, and the UAW and gov't should have wound up owning GM, your constant rants are starting to wear a little thin.

Why not start your own thread titled "Why I hate GM and love Ford, Toyota, anything but GM"? That way you wouldn't have to keep repeating yourself.

Has Ford fixed the Chinese trannys that tend to explode? TSB

Wait, there's more. (Is "clutch stay-out" a euphemism for "power shift" where you don't lift the accelerator?)

Oh yeah, I really like the Mustangs from a style point of view. Never drove one or even ridden in one. I do like the earlier rear end design better than current rounded off one.
Old February 21st, 2012, 10:20 PM
CF Veteran

Arlington and Ecuador (hybrid)

List of General Motors factories - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sorry, maybe it was the last one. My point is, "American" companies don't mean anything. I don't care where it's made if it doesn't fall apart. I'm disgusted with my Tahoe and until GM offers to buy it back at fair market value, I will continue to inform anyone and everyone of my disdain for GM. Ford is looking great of recent. I drove a Raptor, Explorer and Edge at the PA auto show. way more high-tech, and much better fit / finish... while GM was too scared to bring any cars to the ride and drive... Oh snap, GM rushes to announce a 500 HP camaro? why? because they, like everyone else know, Ford bitch slapped them with a 650 HP mustang. Ford didn't take any Gov't loans. GM and Chrysler should have died. I don't see my company being bailed out...

since this is all way off topic and we're throwing opinions around anyway.....I personally don't believe anyone can bash any brand at any time, especially since the majority of the people that do have no experience of value with any number of each brand. I work in an independent shop and people ask opinions all the time...personally i would never own a ford escape, explorer or diesel but the truth is theres always lemons and cars WILL ALWAYS have malfunctions no matter who where why or how they're manufactured

and on a final note if you hate GM vehicles so much why are you wasting your time on a GM forum??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: This Suburban is driving me crazy