Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Suburban LED Bumper Lights

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2011, 2:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suburban LED Bumper Lights

I just got a set of the LED front bumper lights. have the rear led lights at well. Rear ones look great on my 2003.

I got the front ones and they look great too. But for some reason when i turn on the parking lights the fuse blows.

The Daytime Running lights still work as well as the turn signal flashers even after the parking light fuse blows. The flashers obviously use the same LEDs as the parking lights.

I am not going to over fuse it.

Just wondering if anyone else has these and had the problem or knows what it may be.
Old June 28th, 2014, 11:25 PM
CF Beginner

Default LED Bumper Lights

Sorry to bring up an old feed but I'm having the exact same problem as you are describing. Did you ever figure out how to correct the problem that you were having? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old June 29th, 2014, 8:01 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

nothinbutabowtie Welcome to the forum...

LED's use less power then conventional bulbs but don't under estimate the power that they do consume...
Without knowing how you wired up your setup its hard to say...
I would suggest setting it up with a relay and separate power... if your current setup will power up a relay with no issue they all will be good...
I'm betting the LED's are drawing more current then you might think...
Old June 29th, 2014, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the welcome in2pro. I Believe it doesn't have anything to do with the amount of current. When you turn the parking lights on the fuse blows so fast that it has to be a dead ground, or positive to ground. I've played with it quite a bit and blown a lot of fuses. There is something wrong with the way the light is wired because depending on the orientation of the connections, I can get the parking lights to work fine, but then i blow fuses on the blinker, (in the same way, dead short) so its you cant win, your either going to wire it to blow a parking light fuse or blow a turn signal fuse. I think I might just try to rewire the lights to solve this problem. I was just curious to see if anyone else has had this problem with LED bumper lights and if so what they had done to correct the issue.
Old June 29th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Are you able to power the light up off the vehicle i.e directly to the battery or other 12v source as a sanity check to make sure its not the lights themselves?

Post some pictures too, would like to see your setup
Old June 30th, 2014, 5:17 PM
CF Beginner

I got it figured out. It was actually a problem with the lights themselves. They were the worst quality parts I've ever seen. Just cheaply made all the way around. Here's some pictures in the attachments.
Attached Thumbnails Suburban LED Bumper Lights-20140629_161519%5B1%5D.jpg   Suburban LED Bumper Lights-20140629_161504%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old June 30th, 2014, 9:30 PM
CF Beginner

glad you got it figured out, mind telling us what make your lights are? same brand on the tailights and headlights?
Old July 2nd, 2014, 8:09 PM
CF Beginner

I'm not for sure of the brand actually. I just picked them up off ebay. This is what they look like though.
Attached Thumbnails Suburban LED Bumper Lights-bumper-lights.jpg  
Old July 8th, 2014, 2:48 PM
CF Beginner

i got the same thing what did you do???
Old July 22nd, 2014, 5:09 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry it took so long for the reply. I had to rewire the lights themselves. I took the LED light on the side's wires and quick connected them into the amber parking light wires to only come on with the blinker. That way they wont blow fuses anymore with the parking lights since you'll be using the same as the amber parking lights. I just left the factory harness for that outer LED hookup unplugged and everything works great now. It was a real pain to troubleshoot it all. Again I'm sorry about the slow reply and I hope it wasn't too late. If you have any other questions just post here. I'll try and help.

Quick Reply: Suburban LED Bumper Lights