Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Suburban Power Windows and Locks problem

Search this Thread

Old November 12th, 2006, 9:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suburban Power Windows and Locks problem

I have a 1999 Chevy Suburban LT 1500 4x4.

1. The power windows (sometimes 1 and other times all 4) get "locked out" in the down/open position; then, randomly they will beging working. what is the cause? and how do i fix the problem?
2. We have the factory power door locks with the key fob. sometimes the driver door does not unlock when depressed on the fob, (when 'unlock" is pressed twice) the other 3 doors will unlock, but not the driver side. I end up having to use the key to unlock the driver's side. What causes this? what is the fix?
Old November 12th, 2006, 11:22 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Suburban Power Windows and Locks problem

I used to have a similar issue in my 87 Suburban. For me it was the elecrical connectors on the backs of the respective switches coming in and out of contact with the switch itself. If you feel comfortable peeling your door panel off the switches should be readily identifyable, check your wiring, and change your fuses, you might be have one thats a bit funky. AS for your power door lock, will your switch from inside the truck operate the power lock? if not the cylinder that actuates the actual locking mechanism might have died, if you can operate power locks from the interior switch its another wiring gremlin.....
Old November 12th, 2006, 11:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default Suburban Power Windows and Locks problem

the connectors that you are talking about, are the the ones located on the driver side armrest? where are the fuses for the power windows and power locks located?
regarding the locks, yes the power lock button inside the vehicle works fine, it is mostly a problem when i use the key fob, and it only affects the drivers front door. any idea what wiring might be bad.
thanks for your help and your rapid response.
Old November 13th, 2006, 2:28 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Suburban Power Windows and Locks problem

correct, the wiring i was referring to was for the switches in your arm rest. Thats not where they were on my 87, but standard electrical principles still work. Basically if you have a switch operated device not functioning properly, start at the switch and troubleshoot your way down to other components. I have also seen where the window motors themselves have started going bad from age. Intigrated within the wiring of the window motors there are overheat switches. Thats basically what tells the window to stop when up or down. THe internal switches sense resistance in the window travel and shut the motor off. I am just pointing out other possibilities, that being old tired motors. The fuses should be in your standard fuse panel area, and for the life of me cannot picture it in your model suburban. I know in my current there is a panel just inside the drivers door where the door and dash meet, and on my 87 it was under the dash. Check your owners manual for fuse box locations. No problems with the quick responses, thats how we get stuff fixed and thats why we have forums....