Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Suburban won't start periodically but battery and alternator check out OK

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2011, 7:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suburban won't start periodically but battery and alternator check out OK

We have a 2002 Chevy Suburban, and last night my wife went into an office for about 15 minutes, came out, and the Suburban was dead. There was a clicking noise when she tried to start it. I was able to jump it OK, so I took it to a parts store, and the battery and alternator checked out OK. It started multiple times to day no problem. Tonight, my wife took our daughter somewhere, climbed back into the Burb, and it was dead. I jumped it again, took it to another auto parts store, and both checked out OK again. There was a competitor's part store across the street, so I took it there as well. They also showed no problem. The battery was able to deliver around 783 Amps, and it's an 800 A battery. The resting discharge (not sure what to call this, but it's when everything was off) was .18 A.

I presume there is a broken wire or bad connection somewhere, but does anyone have suggestions on where to start checking things out? I did pull the wires off the battery, and there is no corrosion around the terminals.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old May 20th, 2011, 7:51 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked your battery cables and ground? Everything look good?
Old May 20th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

for sure start with checking out the ground cable replace if any corrosion then check the cable from the battery to the starter...