Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Suburban's Mystery Coolant leak/Oh no my headgasket

Search this Thread

Old July 22nd, 2014, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suburban's Mystery Coolant leak/Oh no my headgasket

I have a '93 suburban with a 350. Hey guys, I'm looking for some input on where my coolant may be going before I try to replace the head gasket.

It started loosing coolant and I can't find the leak at all. It looses about half a gallon in a 200-300 mile period. It doesn't overheat unless it's low. No problem with power or driving. My coolant reservoir stays full even when the radiator is low so I know it has to have an open in it somewhere.

I've got new hoses on it, new water pump/clutch/cap. I did find a small leak on the quick connect heater hose and replaced that but the problem still continues. The oil looks find, I even changed it to be sure and it looks like the color of oil. Transmission fluid is ok too. I did a compression test and I'm getting between 160-170 on all cylinders. Non of the plugs were wet. No smoke out the tail pipe either. I don't know where the coolant is going.

Been over it a few times and can't find any leak. nothing smells like antifreeze but it has to be going somewhere. I never replaced a head gasket before but I'm confident I can manage it, I would just like to feel more comfortable knowing that was the problem before I attempt such a thing. Going to look at it again this weekend and am wondering if there is anything else I should check.

Also been reading about intake gasket failures. Would that have these symptoms?

Any help would be appreciated. Great site and community you guys have here!
Old July 24th, 2014, 9:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

My 93 did this for a few years - had an intake manifold leak - look carefully for staining on top of the intake mani - I finally got sick of it and had it repaired. No further problems in over 200k - my mechanic said it's a common leak source.
Does your cooling system hold pressure? I have also had very small radiator leaks 3 times that were initially very difficult to spot.

Last edited by Rednucleus; July 24th, 2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old July 27th, 2014, 11:11 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey my advice would be.do pressure test with a dye.