Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Sway Bar Choices

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2014, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sway Bar Choices

I want to change the amount of body roll in my 2005 suburban. I have a 2" lift and level.

I'm deciding on sway bars, if I get a kit from Belltech of front and rear bars; dimensions being F1-1/4" R1-1/8th", or Hellwig F1-3/8" R1-1/4". The rear Hellwig is adjustable. Both can be ordered as individual pieces or the Belltech comes in a cheaper kit.

The Belltech bars are much thicker but someone offline mentioned an adjustable sway bar being better. Should i go for a thicker belltech front and adjustable hellwig rear? I don't want the rear to be stiff and the front to be soft, and I dont want to have to pay more money for an adjustable rear if a thicker cheaper bar is available. Also, how thick is overkill?
Old August 19th, 2014, 9:05 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by rbsh14
I want to change the amount of body roll in my 2005 suburban. I have a 2" lift and level.

I'm deciding on sway bars, if I get a kit from Belltech of front and rear bars; dimensions being F1-1/4" R1-1/8th", or Hellwig F1-3/8" R1-1/4". The rear Hellwig is adjustable. Both can be ordered as individual pieces or the Belltech comes in a cheaper kit.

The Belltech bars are much thicker but someone offline mentioned an adjustable sway bar being better. Should i go for a thicker belltech front and adjustable hellwig rear? I don't want the rear to be stiff and the front to be soft, and I dont want to have to pay more money for an adjustable rear if a thicker cheaper bar is available. Also, how thick is overkill?
If I read your values correctly the Hellwig is the thicker one(s) by 1/8 of an inch for both front and rear...
The adjust-ability could have its advantages but it could also be a PITA if you are always needing to tweak it...
I would add that if you have not already, might try replacing the rubber bushings with poly bushings with your current bars to see if they help stiffen things up...
Old August 19th, 2014, 10:20 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Adjustable sway bars allow you to alter the load at each corner. Unless you're going racing, it's probably overkill.

Their purpose is to try to make each side do the same thing. As you turn right and the vehicle compresses the left side springs, the sway bar tries to bring the right side down. So the thicker the bar, the more level cornering will be. But (there's always a but) when one side hits a big bump, that will translate to the other side which will affect ride in a negative way and the thicker the bar, the worse the ride. So as you can see there's a trade-off.

Another thing a sway bar affects is whether the vehicle has under-steer or over-steer. Most have under-steer from the factory. So if you were to put too big of a bar on the rear vis a vis the front, you will reduce under-steer and may even go to an over-steer condition. Not good unless you are a circle track racer and are using the throttle to steer.

Hope this helps.
Old August 21st, 2014, 12:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
If I read your values correctly the Hellwig is the thicker one(s) by 1/8 of an inch for both front and rear...
The adjust-ability could have its advantages but it could also be a PITA if you are always needing to tweak it...
I would add that if you have not already, might try replacing the rubber bushings with poly bushings with your current bars to see if they help stiffen things up...
I would just set it and leave it with minor tuning after. Would the belltech kit be a better option?