Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Switched 12V power for BT kit on 2007 Suburban 2500

Old January 20th, 2010, 11:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switched 12V power for BT kit on 2007 Suburban 2500

I got a Parrot Bluetooth kit for the holidays and played it smart and got an install harness to help the install process. That was all great and easy, but the simplest thing is proving to be a challenge... and I though I would finish in an hour!

The harness needs a switched 12V source to turn on the kit and i thought it would be simple and quick. Needless to say, I wasted over five hours yesterday trying to find a switched 12V source. Looks like everything is bus controlled and all devices get 12V constant and the BCM turns everything on via the bus.

I searched multiple sites, and everything I found didn't work on my truck. Either the connectors were different or just not there. From what I've been able to gather, lots of installers like to pull from the pink ignition wire at the steering wheel. Othes say u need to run your own wire to the battery and relay it to give you switched 12v. And yet others say you gotta pull from the underhood fuse panel...

So, after my long rant, my quesion is: Where the heck can you find switched 12v on a 2007 Suburban 2500? Is it a myth? I'm thinking I'd have an easier time finding bigfoot! ;-)

(Any pics or descriptions of the exact place/wire would be GREATLY appreciated!)
Old January 21st, 2010, 9:01 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I would think the fuse block on the drivers side would have something that is switched...
Old January 21st, 2010, 9:33 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now I could be wrong.....but the BCM shuts off power to a lot of the lights, radio, etc after 10 minutes. How about tieing into the power line for one of those components?
Old January 21st, 2010, 9:53 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Hardin that is what I was thinking also at first, something like the dome light but the lights always have power...you can turn them off or on any time

synack may need to look at something coming off the ignition switch... that is what made me think of the fuse panel easy enough to probe and to turn key off and on....
Old January 21st, 2010, 1:29 PM
CF Active Member

This should help...

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=351435
Old January 21st, 2010, 6:41 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

go to the junction block under the drivers side of the dash, pull the cover off of it, and in a black connector with a pink wire in it that will test as ignition
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:43 PM
CF Beginner

shawnvw--
How does that cover over the junction box come off on a 2009 Tahoe?
I have pushed, squeezed and pulled with no luck.
There is what appears to be a plastic "rivet//gromet" in the lower center of the cover. Is popping that out the secret?

Thanks!
Bob
Old January 26th, 2010, 4:58 PM
CF Active Member

I doubt it draws any more power than my Passport 8500. I got power for it from the rear view mirror plug on the back so there was no taking apart the A pillar to get down to the fuse block (invisicord looks factory). Works perfectly, detector comes on every time I start the truck, powers off with the ignition.
Old January 26th, 2010, 7:46 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

fast....he is putting in a bluetooth kit, not a radar detector

I usually unclip both side at the top, and just pull back really hard and that clip will pop out. If you are uncomfortable with that, use a trim removal tool or some sidecutters to pull the push pin out
Old January 26th, 2010, 8:55 PM
CF Active Member

OK, but there are several different "Parrot" kits, some of which are going to mount in a location like a radar detector, so this is definitely an option.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Switched 12V power for BT kit on 2007 Suburban 2500