Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Switched to Synthetic oil questions

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2007, 9:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switched to Synthetic oil questions

I changed my 2004 Tahoe to full synthetic oil this weekend and have some questions.

1. How long until I should change it again? 6000 miles?
2. I reset the oil change indicator on the DIC. Does it assume non-synthetic oil? What controls it? Will I have to reset it again between synthetic oil changes?

Old June 6th, 2007, 10:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Switched to Synthetic oil questions

I go 5,000 between changes with Mobil 1 and rotate the tires at the same time. I reset the oil change indicator each timeI change the oil.
Old June 7th, 2007, 5:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: msnipe

I go 5,000 between changes with Mobil 1 and rotate the tires at the same time. I reset the oil change indicator each timeI change the oil.
+1
Old June 7th, 2007, 12:53 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The engine oil life monitor systemis calibrated for high quality mineral based SAE 5W-30 motor (GF-4 grade) oils. It takes into account the engine speed and load along with cumulative start cycles and temperatures (both engine and outside), it does not look at accumulated miles.

When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it will indicate that an oil change is necessary. A CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message will come on. Change the engine oil as soon as possible within the next 600miles.

It is possible that, if driving under the best conditions, the oil life system may not indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year. However, the engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset.

If the system is ever reset accidentally, change the engine oil at 3,000miles since last oil change.

Now with all this said if you use a full synthetic motor oil and a high quality filter I would recommend that you follow the oil life monitor, if you use a mineral based motor oil I would recommend that you either change the oil at 4,000 miles or when the oil life monitor reads 50% to get the most life from your engine.
Old July 24th, 2007, 9:27 AM
CF Beginner

Ive been using Mobil1 on my 2004 Tahoe (5.3) for a few years now.

However, I noticed in the manual that 5W-30 is listed as the only viscosity to use.

Would the Mobile 1 5W-50 be ok? The manual leads you to believe that any other would not be good.

Thx
Old July 24th, 2007, 9:58 AM
CF Addict

5W-30 is the only weight of oil that you should use in your Tahoe unless you are operating in the Arctic region then a 0W-30 would be preferred.

It's best not to experiment and risk damaging your expensive engine.
Old July 24th, 2007, 11:31 AM
CF Active Member

The full (true) synthetics are good for all year round operation in all climates. A good quality full synthetic uses base-4 PAO's (polyalphaolaphins) which are man made and provide ultimate lubrication. This assists in easy start up and smooth operation. Be sure to have effectively broken in an engine prior to moving to a full synthetic.

Regarding oil changes, switching to a full synthetic may require an oil change sooner than otherwise as a lot of the grime from the old oil is being loosened and removed. After that, if you are truely interested in extending drain intervals I would suggest you take your used oil to a dealer or location that is capable of performing a used oil analysis. This test will determine the TBN and TAN of the engine oil and provide an indication of whether the oil change can be extended. A lot of commercial haulers utilize these tests so if you can't find an auto dealership, try asemi dealer likeFreightliner.
Old July 24th, 2007, 1:39 PM
CF Addict

It is an urban legend that you need to wait to break-in an engine before switching to synthetic motor oil.

Many cars (GM and others) come factory filled with Mobil-1 synthetic oil.

Not to turn this into a Mobil-1 infomercial but if you decide to spend the extra money and use a synthetic oil then use a Category 4 or 5 oil which are derived from true synthetic base stock lubricants like Mobil-1. Oils such as Castrol SuperSynth (to name one) is a Category 3 synthetic oil that is manufactured from highly refined mineral based stock; while not true synthetic oils they are marketed as such.
Old July 24th, 2007, 3:26 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ZX-

I think you and I may have talked about this before, but didn't Chevy tell Corvette owners not to use Synthetic until after break in, or is that not accurate information??
Old July 24th, 2007, 3:43 PM
CF Active Member

I have used 10W-30 my entire life of cars in Houston, Texas and havenever had a problem.....10W30 and 5W30 will both work fine.....5W30 is for colder environments as it has lower viscosity. The important thing is the 30 weight oil....I plan on putting in 10W30 Royal Purple this weekend..

Quick Reply: Switched to Synthetic oil questions