Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

tahoe won't start in cold weather w/ >1/2 tank of gas

Old January 2nd, 2014, 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tahoe won't start in cold weather w/ >1/2 tank of gas

Hello. I have a 2003 Tahoe that I bought from a friend who has worked on cars for at least 20 years. This was his personal vehicle. He informed me when I purchased it not to park it on an incline if there's less than 1/4 tank of gas b/c it may not start due to the fact that it's fuel injected. I have had issues with it not starting when there has been less than 1/2 tank of gas and it is cold outside. It will start after I put quite a few gallons in. It seems to take quite a long time for the engine to warm up (at least 10 mins as long as I'm driving-stationary would take longer). My father said the excuse of it being fuel injected is crap. My Trailblazer would start with a drop of gas. The colder it is with 1/2 tank or less, the less likely my truck will start. Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks for taking the time to read!
The following users liked this post:
Heatha (January 24th, 2022)
Old January 2nd, 2014, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum... I agree with your father... most likely the fuel sending unit is inaccurate and or the fuel pump has a leak somewhere in the inside of the tank and it sucks air when the level is below a certain point...
I would suggest a new fuel pump....
Old January 2nd, 2014, 1:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default additional info

Thanks for your response! My truck will also act as though it is going to stall at stop signs/lights at times and has stalled before. The same guy I bought it off of said it's probably because the RPM needs torqued? Said it comes factory standard setting but may need torqued to a different setting. It sounds as though the issue in my original post and this one are related.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 2:26 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

I agree w/ in2pro. It definitely sounds like the fuel pump. Not sure what "torque the RPM" means. Sounds like BS to me but maybe he knows what he's talking about. But he could just be trying to claim not knowing it had this problem all along.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 7:23 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you say the guy worked on cars for 20 yrs?? was he a mechanic? why did he not take care of those issues before he sold it to you? and yes you can adjust the rpm but i don't think that is the issue being that sometimes it won't start. what is it idle at anyway?
Old January 24th, 2022, 8:29 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
Welcome to the forum... I agree with your father... most likely the fuel sending unit is inaccurate and or the fuel pump has a leak somewhere in the inside of the tank and it sucks air when the level is below a certain point...
I would suggest a new fuel pump....
what if you just got a new fuel pump and it still acting this way? She still dont like to start under half a tank and she will die while driving.
Old January 24th, 2022, 8:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by laganser
Thanks for your response! My truck will also act as though it is going to stall at stop signs/lights at times and has stalled before. The same guy I bought it off of said it's probably because the RPM needs torqued? Said it comes factory standard setting but may need torqued to a different setting. It sounds as though the issue in my original post and this one are related.
My 03 does everything yours is and I just got a new fuel filter and fuel pump!