Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tech II programming a Nav in a Non Nav VIN vehicle Help

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2010, 9:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tech II programming a Nav in a Non Nav VIN vehicle Help

I read the entire 52 page thread on installing a Nav unit in my original Bose Non Lux, Non Nav system. I installed the Nav unit, ran the VSS wire, hooked up the onstar for voice commands and powered it up. Immediately came up with the blue screen and theftlock, after quickly flashing the chevrolet symbol on the screen. Took it to the dealer to have it unlocked and the dealer told me that because the VIN of my vehicle did not show that it has a nav installed He could not unlock the nav unit. I know that many of you have done this mod and would like a tutorial that I can take to my dealer to instruct the tech on exactly what he needs to do to unlock my head unit. I have called every dealer in the Los Angeles area and no one seems to know how to do it. One guy even told me it against the law to install a nav unit in a non nav vehicle, he could not tell me what law that was breaking. I would really appreciate any help. After they unlock the unit is there anyway to change the chevrolet symbol to a GMC logo on startup? My truck is a GMC Sierra, SLT, bose, duramax. Thanks in advance. jim.
Old March 17th, 2010, 7:19 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

see my post in that thread about using the TechII and build the vehicle as an 06 monte carlo and doing a VIN Re-Learn. GM has released a buletin explaining how to do it
Old March 17th, 2010, 7:24 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

#PIT4007D: Radio Displays LOCKED After SPS Programming - (Aug 11, 2008)

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Subject:</TD><TD vAlign=top>Radio Displays "LOCKED" After SPS Programming</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100>Models:</TD><TD vAlign=top>2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2007-2009 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=100></TD><TD vAlign=top>2008-2009 Hummer H2</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<HR>This PI was superseded tp update model years and text. Please discard PIT4007C.
<HR>The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
<A href="#ss1-2178477">Condition/Concern:

Some technicians may find that after SPS programming a replacement radio the display will show "LOCKED" or "THEFT LOCK". The radio theft deterrent system disables radio functionality if the VIN information sent by the BCM does not match the vehicle VIN information contained in the radio. The radio compares its learned VIN information to the VIN learned in the BCM via GMLAN. If a radio is replaced or swapped from another vehicle the radio will need to relearn the VIN information before it will function. The radio learns the VIN information during the SPS programming event.
<A href="#ss2-2178477">Recommendation/Instructions:

Currently, some SPS programming events will NOT successfully learn the vehicles VIN information in the radio. Engineering is aware of this and working on a correction, however the following steps can be performed to resolve this condition if SPS programming does not unlock the radio:
  1. [*]
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.
Old July 11th, 2015, 8:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, where can I find the Document ID # 1745049