Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Think I've got a rear wheel bearing going out???

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2012, 8:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I've got a rear wheel bearing going out???

Going about 20-25 mph through the mall parking lot I could hear a whirring noise with each rotation of the tires, definitely coming from the rear. Buddy riding shotgun could hear it as well and though it was coming from the passenger side but to me it sounded like it was coming from the drivers side. If I was driving straight or turned to the right we didn't really hear the noise at all, if I turned to the left we could hear it really well. I'll be the first to admit that I am not a grease monkey, I fix computers, but I did a lot of reading tonight and just went out to see if I could feel any play in the rear wheels from top/bottom & side/side, nothing... At this point I'm guessing I need to get her into a shop to confirm if it is indeed a bad wheel bearing. I've done some looking around online to find prices for a replacement either AC Delco or timken but only find front hub assemblies nothing for the rear, what gives? One thing I know for sure is that I leave for a fishing trip in just under a month and I dont want to have this going out on me during the trip. Anything else I can do???
Old March 21st, 2012, 9:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

look on the back of the brake dust shield/backing plate and see if its wet or collecting dirt, normally the axle seals leak if the bearing has gone bad
Old March 22nd, 2012, 2:40 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> rosencra38,

What year and model is the vehicle?

Louis
GM Customer Service