Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

tip if you can't receive calls Via Onstar Handsfree Calling

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2010, 10:16 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default tip if you can't receive calls Via Onstar Handsfree Calling

For about 2 months I had a problem receiving calls in my 07 Tahoe Via onstar with Verizon and didn't even know it. instead of silence and then disconnection after 30 seconds of calling the Tahoe if its not running, after 30 seconds or so i would get the message " the Cellular customer your calling is not available, Please try your call again later". At first i thought maybe they changed how the handsfree calling disconnected until i tried calling the Tahoe while the engine is running and the radio didn't mute and ring. So i called verizon, then verizon said it was onstar then onstar said it was verizon and after 2 hours of being on the phone, they said they will have the problem fixed in 24-48 hours. They called me 2 days later and said its a issue with the equipment and not the service. I wasn't going to pay the dealer anything to fix this issue since my car has over 50,000 and out of the bumper to bumper warranty and i wasn't going to pay the deductible for my extended warranty.

So i tried one thing before i called OnStar to cancel my service. I disconnected the car battery for about ten minutes then reconnected it. IT WORKED! So just in case you guys have any problems with the electronics with these cars, try disconnecting the battery. If its a reoccurring problem, the computer will record the problem again soon so your dealer can figure it out.
Old February 18th, 2010, 7:37 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default yea

I had the opposite problem... my new Tahoe came w/Oncrap's stupid phone and I don't want it. I have a cell phone and it has bluetooth built into the car... what person who owns a $50,000+ SUV wouldn't have a cell phone?!

Anyway; I kept getting calls on it since I had a ton of minutes when I bought the stupid thing, at first I was like umm, no, i'm not them, and I don't know you. Since I never gave the number out.. Now I just have fun with people, answering in spanish, degrading them, yelling at them, swearing, etc... they called ME, so whatever occurs is a result of that. I have 50 some minutes left, I called to shut it off, and they claim they can't, but he added 10 minutes that expire at the end of this month, so all calls should stop March 1st, correct?

I have a cell phone, I don't need one in the car, thats only on while IN the car... (so stupid)...
Old February 22nd, 2010, 12:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"OnCrap"... LOL... love it.

Has anyone had experience retrofitting some type of bluetooth device into their previous generation units? I've got the 2004 with OnCrap and I agree with SabrToothSqrl, what a hunk of junk when the majority of people who can afford a $50k SUV have had cellphones for the last 10 years or more. I'd love to find a nice do-it-yourself type upgrade... That might be a nice sticky around here...
Old June 24th, 2010, 3:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default ON Star--Cannot Receive Incoming Calls

Spent yesterday afternoon back and forth between OnStar technical advisors and Verizon advisors because my 2008 Suburban would not receive incoming phone calls. I could call out and all systems checked out per the two providers. I called my Chevrolet service advisor. They were no help because they had never heard of such a thing.

Bottomline--I Looked at a post from this forum. It stated to disconnect the battery. I disconnected the battery-waited a few minutes--and it worked. I can receive incoming calls.

I called OnStar back and Verizon--they were unaware of this "fiX" and did not seemed too interested. However, it worked for me --so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps someone.
Old June 24th, 2010, 3:31 PM
CF Active Member

welcome to the site. glad you found the problem. lots of helpfull people on here.