Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

Tire pressure sensor from old rims

Old August 4th, 2010, 12:09 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire pressure sensor from old rims

I have the 2007 Tahoe 17" 5-spoke LS version rims (spokes have two grooves on each spoke going from center outward to edge of rim - pic with the tires) with TPMS sensors. I just picked up some 2007 Z71 Silverado 5 spokes with no groves on spokes(pic without the tires). Tires are way better on the z71 rim....offroad look.

Before I sell the wheels with TPMS sensors, Can I move the sensors to the Z71 rims? I don't think any 2007 Silverados (classic version) came with TPMS? The rims also came on the 2006 Tahoes.

How much should I expect to pay a shop to move the sensors from one rim to another(both have tires on)?

Also, how can I turn off the dashboard light until I get the sensors moved to the other rims? Thanks for all the help.
Attached Thumbnails Tire pressure sensor from old rims-2007-tahoe-rims.jpg   Tire pressure sensor from old rims-silverado-rim.jpg  
Old August 4th, 2010, 6:30 AM
CF Active Member

yab.

u can remove gthem and install to any other rims. You should remember position ( front left, front right, rear right and rear left) unless u wanna relearn them. It's easy to do.
All u need is new TPMS valve kit. Do not replace them without valve kit !!!

U can buy them from local dealer or online. They cost around 4-8$ per kit (for 4 wheels).

Good luck
Old August 5th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Not sure if this would work but you might try putting them in a baggy and put inside the truck to see if that'll turn off the lite.
Old August 5th, 2010, 8:46 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
Not sure if this would work but you might try putting them in a baggy and put inside the truck to see if that'll turn off the lite.
The light would stay on because the pressure is zero. It would think you have 4 flat tires.
Old August 5th, 2010, 9:05 PM
Administrator

Excellent point.
Old August 9th, 2010, 12:37 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I was gonna remove the sensors and sell the oem wheels but i'll just hold on to the oem wheels and till i move the sensors over when i get new tires. I'm not sure if the sensors will work in the older rims as ebay shows different types of sensors for the same years.

I'm guessing the sensors are screwed into the valve stem area but some other sensors have screw that bolts into the rim besides the valve stem screw.
Old August 9th, 2010, 6:57 AM
CF Active Member

sensors will work in older rims. Problem is, that older sensor could not work in newest cars. If u going to use same sensors, just mark them and install them in same wheel (FL, FR, RR, RL). Than u don't have to reprogram them.

Old November 2nd, 2010, 3:14 PM
CF Beginner

Hey all, first time poster here. Just signed up for this forum and it looks like it's full of great information. I have owned nothing but Chevys since I started driving (1991) except for a Dodge Ram from 1998-2004 (great truck too, BTW - never had any problems and it was an SLT 4x4 Quad Cab. The 4WD wasn't for show and that truck took a beating. I dumped it off at 166,000 miles at an auction, someone got a great truck) and will forever remain a Chevy driver.

Just had a new son born on Saturday (3 kids now) so we are going to be upgrading the crew cab to a Suburban. I am trying to keep the truck however and not sell it, it has been good to us.

I have a question and I am not sure if I read this thread right. I have a 2007 Silverado crew cab LS that has the TPMS and just bought the 20" OEM 5 spoke chrome wheels. However, they aren't equipped with the TPMS. It looks like I can swap the sensors from my stock 17" tires into these 20" though.

I have tried to locate this valve kit listed above but cannot, and I also do not know who the manufacturer is on the sensors currently on the truck (haven't received the 20"s yet so the 17"s are still on) . I called the dealer and of course they want me to buy 4 new entire sensor kits at $75 each and when I asked if the manufacturer was Dorman they played dumb or sincerely didn't know.

My question is can I buy these and swap them out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...AQ:MOTORS:1123

If not, should I buy these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy...4aeb#vi-ilComp

Any and all help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Old November 2nd, 2010, 8:53 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum.

Can you swap one to the new wheels and mount the tire to see if it'll work?
Old November 2nd, 2010, 9:43 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dorman makes aftermarket sensors not the originals. You do not need a valve kit . I took my sensors out of my factory 17" wheels and put the into my aftermarket 20" wheels a year and a half ago without buying anything. At work we switch tire sensor into new wheels often without a problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire pressure sensor from old rims