Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tire sizes and brands

Old January 9th, 2007, 10:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire sizes and brands

This may have been discussed so I apologize. I'll spend some time searching here in a few but lack of time at the moment.

Just picked up some 20's for the Yukon. So Tires:

GM told me upon purchase that they can ONLY program the 275/55/20 OEM size on the 20's... is this true or are there other avenues to use different sizes than the "GM" limits or will I be held to this? If I can use other sizes, is there a 'better' size that you all like to use on the tahoe/yukon cars? right now the vehicle is stock height and it doesn't appear at this time that it will be lowered. i'd like a 2/2 eibach pro kit but I still have to talk the wifey into it as it's primarily her car.

Brands:

Anyone ever use a 'Fierce' brand? I did some research and found out it's partly owned/made by Goodyear and all but didn't know if there was any experience on this. I'm looking for something inexpensive but not at the expense of crappy ride/noise levels... I can get a Goodyear LS2 for like $150, I can pick up these Fierce for $129 and online, there are Hankooks and I think a Yokohama under $110 before shipping...

Thanks for the input.
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:24 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Tire sizes and brands

You could get a superchips to program the tire size!

I have had Hankooks in 22 inch and really like them.
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:28 PM
CF Beginner

makes sense but the TPS / tire pressure / abs sensor stuff really messes me up. if i used a programmer to adjust the size what does that do to the tps sensors and/or how would I set it to learn with the proper programmed size.... or is it simply program the new size with the programmer and then use the 'relearn' process as normal...

any suggestions on a new tire size or stick with the stock size? I'd like a slightly taller, slightly wider tire to fill the wells a little better but not sure how much room is available.
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:43 PM
CF Addict

The TPS have nothing to do with tires, tire size, etc. The TPS install on the wheels! If your wheels are aftermarket you need to remove them from your factory rims and put them on your aftermarket wheels. Where is a post that is older that tells you how to retrain your vehicle for the TPS monitors. It is simple! Look for that post.

All the superchips will do is calibrate the speedo/odometor to the new tire size. You are saying if you change tire sizes your dealer cant make the change, the superchips would do that much. I have the superchips for my 24 inch wheels because GM didnt have a program for my 24's.

As for tire size, that is up to you. You wouldnt have to change anything if you stay at the overall same circumference. Search google for tire calculator and you can find sites that will allow you to compare your stock tires and give you different options that are the same overall circumference. Good luck and let me know if you need anything else.
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:50 PM
CF Beginner

ok, makes sense. yes, they told me if I went with a 22 or 24, GM didn't have a program and if I ventured away from the stock OEM sizes, Gm didn't have a program. So, that makes sense.

Next question is the actual size. I'd really like a 305/50/20 but on a 2wd, not sure if it would fit w/o rubbing. Don't think the wife would stand for any rubbing. I can probably take care of some very very minor liner rubbing but don't want to open a can of worms, if so, I'd just stay stock. But, my goal would be to fill the well as nicely as possible. I see from searching that DarkOne has a set of 305 Grapplers on his tahoe, wonder if he had any rub.

thanks for the help oh big one.
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:51 PM
CF Addict

Just buy my lowering kit, that would be better than using any tire to fille the wheel well gap!
Old January 9th, 2007, 11:00 PM
CF Beginner

agreed, fo sho! want my wife's cell phone number??

both the 305/50 and the 295/50 show to be the same height but the 295 is a tad narrower than the 305... more options for the 305 tho.
Old January 9th, 2007, 11:23 PM
CF Addict

ORIGINAL: sredish

agreed, fo sho! want my wife's cell phone number??
Sorry, I already have a better half!
Old January 12th, 2007, 5:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Purchased some aftermarket 22" wheels for my 2007 Suburban in November. I finally got to dealer (not the one I purchased from) to download new wheel & tire size. They charged me for 1.5 hours. I no longer get the check psi notes on DIC. I probably could have lived with the notes but I just wanted to cover my butt. I don't want any transmission problems down the rode and then be told my warranty is voided because of the larger wheels. If problem occurs I let GM fight with Dealer..
Old January 12th, 2007, 7:12 PM
CF Junior Member

I have 20s with 285 50 i had 305 on there adn they rubbed to bad but the 285s fit no problem

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire sizes and brands