Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Trailer tow mode not working

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2011, 10:24 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer tow mode not working

Tried to use the tow mode and light on dash didn't come on. Transmission is going into overdrive, so not the bulb.
Has anyone had a problem with this? I tried checking fuses but may not have tried the right one as they are labled a little difficult to understand.If fused anyone tell me which fuse I should go to?
I don't remember if I used it since I had the tranny filter changed, so I question if it is possible something was disturbed when the pan was off. Would like to eliminate possibilities before going to the shop.
It's an '05 1/2 ton Sub

Last edited by factorypilot; May 24th, 2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old June 9th, 2011, 7:46 PM
CF Beginner

Finally got around to look at this problem. Took steering column cover off and found a wire from the switch in the shift lever to be broke. The second wire was near breaking also. I soldered a splice to both wires to give a little more length and for now is working.
Wires are in a orange casing if anyone has to pursue this issue.
Old June 10th, 2011, 7:17 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default yes

thank you for the info
Old June 10th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks for the feedback.

Any indication as to why they broke?
Old June 10th, 2011, 6:31 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by factorypilot
Finally got around to look at this problem. Took steering column cover off and found a wire from the switch in the shift lever to be broke. The second wire was near breaking also. I soldered a splice to both wires to give a little more length and for now is working.
Wires are in a orange casing if anyone has to pursue this issue.

awesome, hopefully thats whats wrong with mine...

:chug:
Old June 10th, 2011, 10:49 PM
CF Senior Member

well I tore my dash apart tonight... found 1 wire running to the tow/haul switch (that I could tell) and it seemed to be fine. I've been fighting the cluster bouncing dead over bumps so I was checking the connections on it too... seems I'll have to look for and maybe re-run a new ground for it... 2001 Suburban. A week ago, the whole instrument cluster would - JustAnswer

I'm hoping it's whats also causing it to intermittantly shut down the motor too. :dunno:

but I found out tonight that if I put it in 1st and hit the tow/haul switch it mystically works. This pleases me. I'm just bummed I have to take the dash back apart tomorrow. ugh.

Old June 11th, 2011, 8:44 AM
CF Beginner

73shark, the wires that run up to the switch in the shift lever are held to the steering column with a retainer and it appears to have pinched the wires at that area. Maybe from the tilt steering over the years acted like a can and weakened the wires to the point of breaking. Since I couldn't get enough slack with what was left I spliced a little better than a inch or so of some wire I had laying around to get length I felt comfortable with. The wire was very small gauge, I hope it holds or a new shift lever will be needed. I suppose I could buy a switch and mount it somewhere on the dash but I don't think that will be very appealing to me.
Old June 11th, 2011, 3:27 PM
CF Senior Member

update: pulled dash back out. got some blue flappy wire splicers and ran a new ground for both the black/white wires (GND) from the plug and now my cluster doesn't seem to doink out, (yet) and my oil pressure gauge is less twitchy. the tow/haul button now works from 2nd gear instead of just 1st, (i'll be real happy when I can get it to work from drive) and my abs and brake light ain't come on yet.

down side, it keeps telling me I'm low on washer fluid, and I know it's not as I topped it off last night. ugh.