Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

TPMS Issues on my Brand New 2011

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2011, 10:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS Issues on my Brand New 2011

I traded in my 07 Black LTZ and picked up my new 11' Diamond White LTZ Monday night. I had the dealer install my Silverado SS Chrome 20" wheels with new Toyo Proxes tires on the 11'. The Silverado SS rims had the factory TPMS monitors from my original 07 LTZ 20" wheels. Drove the tahoe home and everything was fine. 1/2 way to work yesterday the Service Tire Monitor System light came on and is staying on. Tire pressure is no longer displayed and only dash marks. This worked last night and part of my ride to work. Any idea the issue? I am traveling now for business but when I get home I am going to try to reset and see what happens. Any other ideas? Tires are still OEM factory size (275/55/20) & wheels are 20x8.5 with 22mm offset opposed to factory 31mm. None of this should matter with as long as the TPMS is installed and inflation is close to factory setting.

Tire pressure monitors are the two piece style with the black TPMS that is screwed to a rubber valve stem with the extra long valve cap.

Hopefully reprogramming the TPMS will fix the issue, not sure what the dealer did when they installed the wheels/tires.

Did Chevy change TPMS technology between 2007 & 2011?

Any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated.

29 miles on it and love it!
Old March 30th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Sometime in the 2007 run, they switched from a all metal TPMS stem to a rubber one. Folks reported problems w/ them and my 2010 came w/ the metal ones again. So you may have to have the dealer program them if it doesn't work for you.
Old March 31st, 2011, 4:33 AM
CF Beginner

I swapped my 17's for 20's on my '07, first couple times I drove it no issues then the service TPMS came up.

You'll need to get it to recognize the sensors, it's in the owners manual.
Old March 31st, 2011, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Being a new vehicle I would recommend taking it back to the dealer, thou you may be able reprogram them yourself, its best to have them do it while under warranty so it is documented, should it come back later after warranty is up, you have some ground to work with...

Last edited by in2pro; March 31st, 2011 at 11:31 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old March 31st, 2011, 1:52 PM
CF Beginner

I want to bring it back to the dealer, but my concern is that they will wash their hands of the issue as these are the wheels/tires/TPMS that I provided and they installed on my Tahoe. They are not the wheels/tires/TPMS that came on the vehicle from the factory. These wheels went on my trade as I cannot stand the factory polished 20's.

I think best bet is for me to reprogram myself and see if it resolves the issue...if not then to the dealer to see what they have to say.
Old March 31st, 2011, 8:31 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

If they did the install of the equipment they are taking on a certain level of responsibility as it was all GM products ( sensors and wheels) unless you signed off on a warranty void for the items they are covered under your 3yr 36k.

But your path of trying to see if you can get it work is fine too...and taking it to the dealer if it doesn't....
Old April 1st, 2011, 2:40 AM
CF Beginner

Inflate the tires to max psi, then follow the procedure in the manual so the ecm can relearn the sensor positions.

Using the second "DIC" button (gigity) ignition on, it should display "relearn sensor positions" or something of that nature, hit the check mark and the horn will sound. Starting with the drivers side front release some air from the tire untill the horn sounds, then go clockwise, RF, RR, ending with the LR. While deflating the LR (drivers side rear) the horn will sound twice to confirm the procedure was successful. Now you can adjust the pressure in the tires as you see fit, I like mine at nearly max pres.
Old June 10th, 2011, 8:22 AM
CF Beginner

Default factory psi settings for tpms sensors

I bought my truck last month. I got about two miles from the dealorship and the tpms warning/service came on. I let it go for awhile and my tire pressure didnt register at all like some have posted. so below is a list of things that i have found out since.

1. TPMS relearn tool from Katech, works on any vehicle 2005 or newer with TPMS sensors.

2. 2011 truck manuals DO NOT share the process of a manual relearn.

3. I personally manually let the air out of my tires in "learn mode" in my own driveway using the exact same procedure in my manual for the relearn tool and it works with out the tool!

4. I have Factory 20" rims with Goodyear Wranglers(i hate Goodyear), but that is besides the point they are inflated with nitro. the Max psi for all tires are 80PSI. however this does not allign with the Factory Suggested settings. (60psi) front (70psi)rear. So i'm assuming that the Sensors are set to these settings and not the max psi rating on the tire. theory behind this,,,,if i set my front tires higher then 60 psi i get a warning. I personnaly feel as though 60 psi in the front is too low and want to make an appointment at a dealership to have this checked/adjusted so the under inflated buldge that i'm seeing on my front tires goes away. I believe it will create an uneven wear on my tires.

5. I preordered a Katech relearn tool for $99, $14.95SH. and currently they are on back order till august 2011 so i canceled my order now that i know that i can manually do it myself. it took me ten minutes to do it in my driveway, mostly due to an angry air compressor line that i had to fight with to get uncoiled, and will save me tons of time to stay away from service shops.

good luck to all, hope this info helps! Trying to get my chevy back to BFgoodrich!!!!!!! best tire ever made.
Old June 10th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the info. Surprised that it's not in the Owner's Manual.

My 2010 came w/ Goodyear Eagle LS 2s which show 44 psi max. Are you talking about a Silverado 2500 or 3500? Can't imagine any 4-ply tire w/ a 80 psi max rating.

Personally if I just picked up a new vehicle and it malfunctioned that close to the dealership, I'd race back but that's just me.
Old June 11th, 2011, 6:01 AM
CF Beginner

Default 2011 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ

Yes i have a 2011 2500HD Crew Cab LTZ, its a gas guzzler. I purchased the truck pretty far from my house. I had a four hour drive home so i didnt want to turn around and go back to the dealership. i figured if it was something serious i'd take it to a local dealership to get it taken care of. turned out i was lucky, and i'm glad it made me learn more about my truck too.