Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Trailer towing package question

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2007, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer towing package question

Hello all,
Newbie here. Just picked up an '03 Z71 Suburban. We bought it mainly for towing our pop-up camper. Before I go out and buy a trailer brake controller, I was wondering if anyone can elaborate on a statement from the owner's manual related to a wiring harness adapter available from the dealer:
If your trailer is equipped with electronic brakes, you
can get a jumper harness (electric trailer brake control)
with a trailer battery feed fuse from your dealer. This
harness and fuse should be installed by your dealer or a
qualified service center.

My question is: will this harness provide a voltage output to my trailer brakes? Anyone know the part number for this or can point me in the right direction? Thanks much!
Old July 25th, 2007, 5:46 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Trailer towing package question

The harness/adaptor has a white plastic connector on one end that plugs into the vehicles wire harness block underneath the dash the other end has bare wires (with butt connectors) that are crimped to the wires on your brake controller.
The adaptor simply makes for easy brake controller installation.

Your dealer will have the correct one for your Suburban it is P/N15085418
Old July 26th, 2007, 5:29 AM
CF Beginner

As I suspected....Thank you ZX!
Old July 30th, 2007, 2:09 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Trailer towing package question (one more question ZX!)

Does this harness also provide a seperate connection for a 12v feed to a trailer auxilliary feed? As in to a pop-up camper's battery? Does it also come with a connection diagram (as in where to connect)?

The reason I am asking is also in the owner's manual statement:

jumper harness (electric trailer brake control)[align=left]with a trailer battery feed fuse from your dealer[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]All of the brake controller webpages that I have looked at do not mention such a feed if you buy their harness/adapters nor does the GM parts webpage that I plugged that part number in that you gave me.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Thanks again for your help in clarifying this for me.[/align]
Old August 6th, 2007, 10:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Trailer towing package question (one more question ZX!)

I might be wrong about this but I think that 12v feed to the battery is for the brakes only. I think some trailers w/ electric brakes have an additional module that powers the brakes in the event of a disconnect. Since the tow vehicle would no longer be supplying power to the brakes the module detects the disconnect and applies full voltage to the brakes to bring the run-away trailer to a stop.

I might be seriously confused about that though. If so I'm sure others will point it out and correct me.
Old August 9th, 2007, 12:21 AM
CF Beginner

Hey Ive got the delux towing mirrors that came with my truck if you need a pair we can maybe workout a trade/deal. Email me @ maqman00@hotmail.com they look like these, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEVY...spagenameZWDVW
Off of my 07 Tahoe brand new no scratches it also is heated withLED arrow in the mirror
Old September 10th, 2007, 1:07 PM
CF Beginner

Default Update

The answer to my above question related to the trailer battery feed fuse is that with the noted harness above (GM P/N15085418) comes a plug-in fuse that is installed in the underhood fuse box. It applies battery voltage toa pin on the7-pin RV connector at your rear bumper. This for an auxulliary battery connection such as one might find on an RV.
Old October 10th, 2007, 6:05 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Update

I saw this post and discovered for an '07, the dealership has to wire up the full time trailer battery feed at the underhood fuse box. You just can't add a fuse to make it hot.

See https://chevroletforum.com/m_7651/tm.htm