Transfer Case Pin Hole Leak Question - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Transfer Case Pin Hole Leak Question

CF Beginner

October 28th, 2010, 9:41 AM   #1  
Transfer Case Pin Hole Leak Question

I have a 2003 Z71 Suburban with 150K miles on it....recently I noticed a pin hole leak (slow drip when hot) in my transfer case leaking the blue fluid....not sure if it's porosity or a crack but doesn't appear to be a crack that I can see. It's in a good spot to repair (from below) IF that can be done while still on the vehicle...I'm sure it would be very costly to R&R soooooooooo I'm looking for advice of IF and HOW would be the best way to deal with it. It appears to be a cast alluminum housing. I'm thinking...Drain/lower fluid...clean and either Epoxy, weld, tap and install screw etc...anyone have any experiance with this type of situation/repair? and thanks in advance.

CF Addict

October 28th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #2  
blue?

I was under the impression transfer cases used automatic tranny fluid... which is generally red...

is that inaccurate?

nope: GM has a new Auto Trak II Transfer Case Fluid (GM Part No. 12378508), which has a bluish color to it

could be blue! go gm... way to mess w/the color scheme...

Administrator

KC, MO area

October 28th, 2010, 6:49 PM   #3  
Clean it very well w/ brake cleaner and seal it w/ 5 min JB Weld. If the leak is slow enuf, you shouldn't have to drain it.

Next way was as you suggested to drill, tap, and install a screw using a sealer.

Let us know how it works out.

Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Bowie, MD

October 28th, 2010, 8:15 PM   #4  
Use JB weld

Tags
Search this Thread
Sponsors