Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1994 Chevrolet Suburban - 1st gear issues

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2015, 1:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Chevrolet Suburban - 1st gear issues

Hey guys,
I have a 94 Suburban K1500 that seems to be starting in second gear.

When in D or OD it starts off and stumbles to 1500rpm then seems to go to 2nd. It shifts fine from there. (I initially just thought it was a stumble until I ended up on a really steep hill stopped, and could not get going forward again)

Once past 1500rpm the car has all the power it should. It goes into passing gear just fine, and I have 2-4 and R with no issues.

If I drop the car down to 1st and try to take off it only goes to 1500 RPM (and doesnt feel quite right... Doesnt want to move much) and sticks at 1500rpm. Pretty much have to floor it to make it move. If I let off the gas it seems to abruptly grab and stop.

With my foot on the brake in 1st gear - if I floor it - it will go to 1500rpm and stay right there with the rpm consistent.

Pretty sure it is only partially engaging 1st gear or trying to engage 1st and 2nd at the same time or something similar. Definitely feels like its in the transmission the more I look and think about it. Mainly notice the power loss if I try to tow any weight. (guessing because im starting in second.)

Watching the RPMS it definitely seems to start in second as it gets well above 45 before it shifts. (not counting the first stumble from start to 1500rpm)

These trucks have the 4L60E, correct?

Could this be the primitive computer causing this, or does this sound like a solenoid, or something else?

I am pretty versed in working on cars but transmissions are one thing that I have never messed with internally. I am not scared to change out a solenoid, but the getting as deep as the valve body worries me a little)

So computer issue or trans issue? How can I isolate it? Is there any way to get the trans codes out of the computer? (My buddies scanner will not get trans codes from OBD I).

The check engine light is not on, though it does work.
I have unhooked the battery for a while to try to reset the computer in hopes this would fix it. (Light was not on before, but thought why not) Nothing changed.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old August 3rd, 2015, 3:36 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a band issue and as far as I know it will require R&R of the solenoids and thorough cleaning.

Very likely trash or solenoids are completely out. Easy to test

The very off chance you may have a detent issue in the valve body.

Last edited by Scotiapilot; August 3rd, 2015 at 3:39 PM.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you for the reply.

I just wanted to clarify your response.

Can I just drop my pan and replace the 1st gear solenoid or are you saying that I have a bad band?

Or are you recommending a complete rebuild of the trans?

Money is a pretty tight so I am trying to approach this correctly, but in the least expensive manner.

To add - my fluid is clean of debris and not burned. Though I purchased this truck 6 months ago and they may have changed the fluid then. But in 6 months and about 5,000 miles it is still clean.

Thanks!

Last edited by 2000c5; August 3rd, 2015 at 5:40 PM.
Old August 4th, 2015, 8:52 AM
CF Beginner

If I understand correctly you don't think it is a band itself, correct? You believe it to be trash or the 1st gear solenoid? Do you think it is worth dropping the pan and loosing the fluid to change out the solenoid? Can I OHM out the solenoid to prove it is at fault before wasting money on refilling the fluid? How would you approach this?
Old August 4th, 2015, 10:10 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2000c5
If I understand correctly you don't think it is a band itself, correct? You believe it to be trash or the 1st gear solenoid? Do you think it is worth dropping the pan and loosing the fluid to change out the solenoid? Can I OHM out the solenoid to prove it is at fault before wasting money on refilling the fluid? How would you approach this?

I am not sure you can OHM the solenoid from the outside. I am sure there is a technique but I don't know it.
I would drop the pan and anyways to check out the filter replace and check the solenoid. YOu will have to drop the pan anyways to replace the solenoid.

There are several Google write up about this particular issue.

If its any consolation I HATE working on transmissions. its a horrid job.
Old August 4th, 2015, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you for taking the time to reply Scotiapilot... I was pretty sure that was what you were saying but I just wanted to confirm.