Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Transmission shifting hard

Old May 31st, 2006, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission shifting hard

I have a '99 Suburban with 122,000 that just started shifting hard yesterday. Truck runs fine. Tranny doesn't slip, just shifts really hard going into second and still harder than normal going into third. Any ideas before I go to the transmission place for answers?

Thanks,
David
Old May 31st, 2006, 8:02 PM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: Transmission shifting hard

how long has it been since you changed your tranny fluid? mabye a new filter and fluid might clear it up. cheaper then taking it to a tranny place anyway. hope this helps.
Old June 17th, 2006, 1:10 AM
CF Beginner

mabye try resetting your transmisson linkage, my 87 suburban done the same thing and i reset it and it works perfect now
Old June 18th, 2006, 4:05 PM
CF Beginner

Im new to this forum and this is the first transmission post i have found. I have an 04 Chevrolet Suburban bought it new and had to have the transmission rebuilt at 45,000 miles, i now have 62,000 miles and it is starting to slip, it has happened about 10 different times. Any Suggestions?

Brandon
Old June 20th, 2006, 1:08 AM
CF Beginner

okay, I am definitely not a transmission guy, so what is involved in resetting the linkage?

Thanks,
David
Old July 18th, 2006, 2:14 PM
CF Beginner

Our 99 is doing the same thing.. would like to know how to "reset" the linkage..

thanks in advance..

david
Old July 24th, 2006, 2:31 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There isn't any linkage. It's a cable and I will put money on it that it isn't the problem.

And changing the fluid and filter isn't going to fix anything either. It's a waist of money. Just like saying put some spark plugs, spark plug wires, and fuel filter is going to fix a rough idle. You need to diagnose the problem instead of just throwing parts at it and hoping it's going to fix something. On some of the older transmissions changing the fluid actually caused the transmissions to fail. I can't remember exactly why but I'll do some research on it see why exactly.

Sad to say but GM transmission well actually all automatic transmissions have thier problems. I don't think any manufactuer has gotten automatic transmissions good enough to where a larger percentage of them don't have early problems.

But back on topic a hard shift into second would sorta lead me to beleive that it could be a valve body problem. Most automatic transmissions in order to figure out the problem is to just tear it down. I wouldn't suggest you do it as their is alot of work inorder to do it and you need to know what your doing and what your looking at.

Your best bet is to just take it to either a dealership or a transmission shop.
Old July 25th, 2006, 2:41 AM
CF Senior Member

I have never heard of a tranny going bad from changing the fluid, and I belive the complete opposite. If you have a 120,000 and it hasen't been done yet your filter could be getting clogged. I know more line pressure will cause a harder shift, what I don't know is if a clogged filter will cause this. Usually it wont drive very well at all. You can change it and see if this helps but I don't know if it will or not. If it hasn't been done yet I would change it but ask a tranny shop first. They should have a better idea of what will cause this.
Then if it needs tore down you wont waste the money on a new fluid and filter to just have it done again.
Old July 25th, 2006, 2:54 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well from what I have read the thing about transmissions that have high milages and have never been changed and then you change it and transmissions starts to mess up is like this. Since the old transmission fluid has been in there so long then residue or crud has built up on the parts and changing it with fresh fluid and it having fresh detergents gets rid of this residue which could have prevented both internal and external leaks.

Also fresh fluids changes pressures and friction properties . Worn and well broken in clutches and seals sometimes don't like these changes. I havn't witnesed this personally by doing it but it did happen to a friend of mine and I just did a quick google search and came up with the info. in this post.

It's kinda like the high milage car/truck that has never changed the fuel filter and then right after the filter is changed the fuel pump dies.
Old July 25th, 2006, 11:02 AM
CF Senior Member

The pump would die anyway from being overworked. And if it will do that why don't you start to advise people to change it when they should so they don't get any build up rather then tell them not to change it at all?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission shifting hard